• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Funny Wader (1 Viewer)

Ruby

...as in peculiar, rather than amusing (I wasn't laughing anyway....)

Has anyone got any idea what this might be?? - seen at Oare Marshes, Kent today.

Unfortunately, the picture is next to useless and the bird itself was hardly co-operating...spending most of its time hunkered down in the grass with its head tucked in...

It was a good way off and i had the camera on the scope on the one occasion when it did briefly move about, so didn't get much of a look at it.

All I could add to the pic is that it was approx Ruff-sized.
Very pale (almost white) throat and sides to neck, dark behind neck.
Dark eye and short dark bill.
Scruffy-looking plumage.

It looked more like a Ruff than anything else I can think of, but the plumage looks all wrong - particularly the neck...

Any thoughts anyone??

Thanks in advance..... Ruby

Attachments

• mystery.jpg
    mystery.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 246
Agreed - one of the 2 birds in breeding plumage I have seen there recently. Looks even more scruffy than a week or so ago.

I agree,male Ruff.The actual 'ruff' is lost quite soon after breeding:have seen one here in mid July much like this bird,with no 'ruff'.
Harry

Thanks Guys...

Yes. There have been a couple of Ruff at Oare recently... in fact I saw the dark one today.

I couldn't really think what else this could be, but it did look peculiar with its pale throat and neck...like a Ruff/young Coot hybrid!!

Hi Ruby,

Still not caught up with you at Oare yet! Mind you, I keep on bumping into Woody there at 6 a.m.

Male Ruff moulting out of breeding plumes for me too

Michael

Harry Hussey said:
I agree,male Ruff.The actual 'ruff' is lost quite soon after breeding:have seen one here in mid July much like this bird,with no 'ruff'.
Harry
Hi Harry,

You off to Wexford?

Michael

Hi Michael,
Saw the bird in Co.Meath(later seen Co.Dublin) in 2000,so not sure!May head down still,interesting bird to see anyway....
Harry

robinm said:
Hi Ruby,

Still not caught up with you at Oare yet! Mind you, I keep on bumping into Woody there at 6 a.m.

Hi Robin,

No.... mind you, I wasn't bad today....got there by about 07:30 ish - can't see me making it much earlier than that!! I didn't see anyone else about today..

I was there early enough to see a Barn Owl hunting by the farm house over the back of the West Flood - very nice, first one I've seen in proper daylight!

The main reason for going today was that I was hoping to see some early return migrants... I had heard about a Little Stint and a Curlew Sandpiper somewhere in the SE earlier in the week (can't quite recall where - Staines I think)

In the event, saw nothing unusual - just a good selection of the usual suspects, including 2 * Common Terns. Didn't see any Sandpipers at all.

Very nice morning anyway, in the sunshine...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back