• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I think this is a ... (1 Viewer)

pattianne

titmouse, but there is no visible crest. Is the crest always visible, or does it lay flat at times? I'll quit guessing and ask for your help. Thanks.

Attachments

• titmouse.jpg
    titmouse.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 329
Yes, Tufted Titmouse.

Maybe the season is sufficiently far advanced in LA for it to have started its annual moult (shedding all the old feathers, and growing a new set, usually just after the nesting season has finished) - birds can get to loose things like crests when that happens. Or maybe it's just got the crest lying flat.

Michael

I'm not so sure it's molting but regardless, sometimes the crest will flatten out. The Sibley "Guide to Birds" shows the Tufted Titmouse with no apparent cap while flying. Probably because its chin is elevated during flight.

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back