• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you ID? (1 Viewer)

pattianne

This is the best of four pix I took of this bird today. Located in southern Louisiana in wooded area near a river. Stayed high on branches; judging from movements, I believe it is a raptor of some sort. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• dscn0415.jpg
    dscn0415.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 321
Well folks, the image I'm getting is very dark and although from this angle I don't make out any long tail projections(see juvenile).....I can't rule out Swallow-tailed Kite. That head looks MUCH whiter than the wings and tail. I really can't tell what color the underside is. The photo is just to dark on my screen.

Just a thought,
dennis

Thanks to all of you for your input. I do have another picture (rear shot) and the tail looks very dark. The head and under parts are a soft gray. Thanks. I'll go with Mississippi Kite.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back