• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID (1 Viewer)

Mugil

showphoto.php

Taken two days ago by my friend I. Geister. He is sure that he had shot Calidris alpina, but I am no so sure that this is that species. It seems to be medium sized shorebird, with yellow-green legs.

Attachments

• id1.jpg
    id1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Hi Mugil, this one is actually a juvenile Knot. The subtle, peachy wash on the underparts and the "scaly" appearance of the upperparts are a good indicator.

Thanks, I was supposing so that species is Red Knot because of many grey bars on uppertail, but the bill is to heavy. It looks like Great Knot´s bill.

Yes, bill does look slightly long, but is roughly equal to headwidth, where Great's is significantly longer than its head. Other Red Knot indicators: yellow legs, lightly marked breast, even greyish back.

I agree, juvenile Red Knot.

The dark belly and the dark-stained legs is probably oil and thats probably why your friend thought it was a Dunlin.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back