• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown tanager (1 Viewer)

herring99

not sure about this one, i think its a juvenile but i don't know. Not a very good picture as the bird literally dropped into view and flew off before i could refocus for a second. It's a better picture of the leaf behind! Any help appreciated.

Herring

Attachments

• unk tanager.jpg
    unk tanager.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 298
This is interesting. The olive colour looks very much like that found on the Palm Tanager. The blue is similar to that from the Blue-gray Tanager.

From the condensed version of BIRDS - of Trinidad and Tobago by Richard ffrench, he states the following:

"The Palm Tanager is so closely related to the Blue-gray Tanager that some think they may be the same species. Some individuals (i.e. Palm Tanagers) show distinctly bluish upperparts and are probably hybrids with the Blue-gray Tanager"

So unless you can get a positive ID, there is a chance it could be a hybrid.

rka

Michael may of overcooked the image a bit. There is more blue visible in the head region and more olive/grey on the back. The bill and overall shape remind me of the other tanager species i saw at the same time as this individual. One possibility i overlooked was the female of the species. This one does appear very similar to the description of the female blue and yellow tanager given in Barry Walkers Field guide to the birds of Machu Picchu - "greyish-olive, wings and tail blue-grey. Head tinged with blue resembling pattern of male". I've atached another edited image (no colour tweaking, only brightness and sharpness) to show these points.

Attachments

• Unk tanager 3.jpg
    Unk tanager 3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 199
Congratulations herring99, you've solved it yourself... :clap:
It is indeed a female Blue-and-Yellow Tanager. Reasons given above. Also, the bill is to long (but not to heavy, just think about Thick-billed Euphonia) for being any of the various Euphonias of Peru. Most female Euphonias also have various yellow(ish) markings on the head. Of course seeing the whole body+tail would have helped, as Euphonias are plump and rather short-tailed birds.
Finally, compared to Palm Tanager. Normally Palm is much greyer (however, this can be a somewhat variable feature). What finally sets the thing is the extent of the black on the wing. In Palm Tanager the terminal half of the closed wing is black(ish). If you're not completely sure with what I ment by this, have a look at this link with a photo of a Palm Tanager, and you will know (it's obvious!):
http://gianfvil.gamersrevolt.it/Trinidad/Palm tanager 3.htm
Finally, Palm Tanager is generally a lowland species, rarely occuring higher than 2000 masl.

* A note on "The Palm Tanager is so closely related to the Blue-gray Tanager that some think they may be the same species." (taken from a previous thread).
These two species have a rather similar distribution. Still, they have maintained their integrity as different species, and interbreeding has been very, very limited. There are no known stabil hybrid populations, the few hydrids have been singles, nothing else. So yes, we're clearly dealing with two different species.

Last edited:
Thanks Rasmus,
I was undecided between that one and a female Euphonia but the Euphonia doesn't have as long or massive a bill as this one. Now I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back