• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID - help needed (1 Viewer)

helenh

The attached photo was taken at Lake Bogoria National Reserve, Kenya on the 24th of October 2003. It has the look of one of the Snake Eagles (either juvie Brown or Black-chested) but the eyes aren't right - they should be yellow, even in juveniles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Helen

Attachments

• unk-eagle.jpg
    unk-eagle.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 220
I don't know much about snake eagles but to me the eyes actually do look yellow, which might solve the problem. Pale yellow at the very least.

I`m with Fifebirder here; if i was writing this one up i`d definately have the Iris colour down as yellow. (However knowing absolutely nothing about snake eagles i`d probably not realise it was impotant enough to note...)

Jasonbirder said:
I`m with Fifebirder here; if i was writing this one up i`d definately have the Iris colour down as yellow. (However knowing absolutely nothing about snake eagles i`d probably not realise it was impotant enough to note...)

I know what you both mean but Snake Eagles have really yellow eyes. The following shows the head of this ui raptor and the head of a Brown Snake Eagle to illustrate what I mean.

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 212
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 144
I'm pretty certain it's a Snake Eagle judging by the overall shape and jizz, (especially) the head.
From the leg colour and what can be seen of the tail pattern and undertail coverts I'd go for Western Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens.

Tim said:
I'm pretty certain it's a Snake Eagle judging by the overall shape and jizz, (especially) the head.
From the leg colour and what can be seen of the tail pattern and undertail coverts I'd go for Western Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens.

Thanks Tim. That was one of the species we'd considered but they are really quite scarce in Kenya!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back