• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using EOS 400D in electricity free environment (1 Viewer)

AMM

Later this year I will be spending a few days on an island with no electricity. Apart from taking fully charged spare batteries (and extra memory cards) for my EOS 400D has anyone got any ideas about how I can ensure I don't run out of power.

Has anyone had any problems using non-Canon batteries as these seem to be a lot cheaper than the Canon version (NB-2LH)?

All advice gratefully received.

Tony

I'll be taking a load of SterlingTek batteries for my couple of days on Skomer. Very cheap (20D batteries on £6 each) and very good quality.

I use off brand batteries in my 400D and have not notice any difference in life compared to the official Canon ones. I reckon if you turn the display off for general use and don't spend too much time reviewing images you can get ~1000 shots from a single charge.

Take plenty of memory cards so you don't review in camera as Pete states all the power will be saved for taking photos unless you have a storage device to download them to. I have non Canon batteries and find they are fine and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Do canon cameras not take "ordinary" batteries as well? I have a nikon D70 and have an adapter in which you put ordinary batteries. This then slots into the place where the usual nikon battery goes.

I always carry this around with my, well stocked up with Duracell.

rezMole said:
Do canon cameras not take "ordinary" batteries as well? I have a nikon D70 and have an adapter in which you put ordinary batteries. This then slots into the place where the usual nikon battery goes.

I think the only way to use normal batteries is the the battery grip.. it takes 6 AA's but does not last anywhere near as long as the camera battery does. A couple of cheap off brand spares is a much cheaper option in the long run.

I have taken over 1000 shots since I had my 30D and I still haven't had to charge the battery, in fact it still shows a full charge. Although I do carry two spares just in case.

When are you going to Skomer hollis_f? I will be there from June 9th until the 16th.

Another option though not as cheap as cheap batteries and it would depend on whether it's sunny or not.

www.solio.com

It would also keep your mobile, iPOD going as well.
just got one from Blacks for under £40.

Last edited:
Hello All,

7Dayshop seem's the cheapest but they've had stock on order for the
last few Time's i've checked ... AnyOne have any other cheap place's
for these batterie's?,
Thank's ... Really appreciate it, ;) ,
Take care,
John,

Cudyll Bach said:
When are you going to Skomer hollis_f? I will be there from June 9th until the 16th.

Well, we'll see you there. We (R2Didi2 and I) are there on June 14th and 15th. As you'll have been there a week already you'll be able to tell us all the really good spots.

AMM said:
Later this year I will be spending a few days on an island with no electricity. Apart from taking fully charged spare batteries (and extra memory cards) for my EOS 400D has anyone got any ideas about how I can ensure I don't run out of power.

Tony
The solar charger sounds great.

Apart from that you can minimize power usage by :

switching off review immediately after each shot;

don't use the camera to review (as already suggested);

switch off IS whenever possible;

switch off AF whenever possible;

avoid using flash.

Mike.

If you get the battery grip, it comes with two cartridges. One of the cartridges lets you use 2 NB-2LH batteries. The other takes 6AA cells. I had reasonable success with the AA cells. Using good quality batteries, it is possible to get several hundred shots. I also tried the 2500mAH NiMH AA cells in the battery cartridge and they appeared to last longer than a single NB-2LH but not as long as 2 NB-2LHs.

If you are really worried about running out of power, battery grip may be a good option. Take as many fully charged NB-2LHs as you can afford and a 24 pack of AA batteries. This may work even better if they sells AA batteries on that island.

Thanks everybody for all the replies and advice. I think I will be buying some cheap batteries. The Solio sounds a good idea if we lived in the tropics or the weather was a bit more predictable.

I'm going to Skokholm. Has anyone been there?

Thanks
Tony

AMM said:
I'm going to Skokholm. Has anyone been there?

Oh dear, you're going to be in trouble - in the nicest sort of way! I have spent a lot of time of neighbouring Skomer and there is so much to see and photograph ...you're going to have to take a truckload of batteries ;) But,are you sure there are no possibiities to recharge ...at least in the warden's digs, I would imagine jst for camera batteries he would agree if there is some sort of power

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back