• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2012 (1 Viewer)

Had an evening bat trip with Clare down to Ebernoe on Monday evening. We had a prolonged display from a Common Pipistrelle in the churchyard and saw both Barbastelle and Brown Long-eared Bats in the vicinity (multi-spectral sensing again).

Driving back we got a bonus beast in the shape of a Harvest Mouse in the headlights, hurtling across the road in front of the car.

John

Made a late decision to go on a Surrey Bat Group/National trust bat walk this evening at Magna Carta Lane, Wraysbury. In a group of about 30 including a fairly large amount of kids I enjoyed some good views of Serotines patrolling field edges and lots of Soprano Pips zooming around inside avenues of trees. Down at the Thames we added close views of Daubentons including some that came whizzing past our ears.

An enjoyable evening.

John

Cool! The kit is pretty effective.

I spent yesterday at an almost air show - cold war jets not allowed to fly, fast taxying at Bruntingthorpe - Yellow Wagtails and Buzzards overhead. Afterwards Dave and I stopped off at Little Brickhill long enough to year-tick Chinese Water Deer (about five minutes).

John

Sunday was a non-birding day with a trip to Bruntingthorpe instead. My brother Dave and I were plane spotters long before the idea of birding got me, and we spent many a happy hours watching the cold war jets of the then comparatively large RAF - all gone now.

At Bruntingthorpe they don't fly them because the Civil Aviation Authority (or Campaign Against Aviation) dislikes the idea of privately owned supersonic fighters. Instead they run them down the runway fast and then stop: so we went to see a Lightning F6 in full afterburner for the first time since about 1987. Pure magic.

Yellow Wagtails headed south over the airfield all day and a bunch of four Buzzards circled overhead.

On the way home I claimed driver's privilege and inflicted a quick search for Chinese Water Deer at Little Brickhill on my non-wildlife brother. It only took about five minutes to locate one grazing on lush grass along a field border for my forthy-fifth mammal of the year.

John

I suppose the clue was there in the last post - forty-five up with four months left of the year.... I spent Friday afternoon through Saturday positioning myself for another fifty-mammal year in the UK.

I came out of the office like a bullet at 1400 on Friday and made my way briskly to the Forest of Dean to look for Wild Boar. I was acting on information received but it was in confidence so I'm not going to say where I was searching - sorry all!

It was soon apparent as I glided silently among the trees that I was in a current area for boars - loads of very very fresh snouting and even tracks superimposed on the last human ones on some of the paths. Once or twice I could even smell the animals, indicating that they may have just vacated a day-bed at the sound of my approach - obviously not gliding as quietly as I fondly hoped! At one point while I was standing silently waiting to see if noises from nearby would result in a sighting, a Grey Squirrel came within three feet of me before realising I was there and fleeing up the nearest tree.

Eventually a mighty crash from the fringe of an area of close birch scrub covering a clear-fell got me onto the disappearing back end of a Wild Boar - year-tick! Over the next couple of hours I heard occasional grunts and squeals, but failed to get any further views. The weather had also deteriorated with occasional drizzle though a sweet chestnut tree kept it entirely off as I staked out the track I had been walking on when the boar leapt up.

As evening closed in I made my way back to the car and set off for the next stakeout - also confidential I'm afraid. The rain had also thickened and I decided to leave the camera stuff in the car while I watched the emergence of a bunch of Lesser Horseshoe Bats. In addition to a few Lesser Horseshoe Bats at the roost site (perhaps the drizzle put them off too) I detected what I took to be Natterer's Bats hunting up and down the track to the site. However I had intended this to be a photographic trip and by the time I got back to the car I was feeling frustrated. At least the drizzle had eased.

I decided to take another look at the car park where I had started my boar search earlier. I was only reckoning on pointing the headlights down past the barrier but on arrival I got a double surprise: the barrier which was advertised as being closed at 2100 was open, and there was a large Wild Boar twenty yards beyond it!

Questions to self at that point: will it stay if I drive nearer, and if I continue on will I get locked in? If I do, do I care? I decided the worst case was effectively that I might get locked in the sweetshop overnight , wound down the windows and drove towards the boar. It moved away from the road but continued feeding and I was able to take three frames before it disappeared. Unfortunately I hadn't leaned far enough across the car and backsplash of the flash had wiped out any chance of an image. Gutted!

I drove on and a second boar belted across the track at speed. I slowed and saw two more do the same thing. By the far end of the car park I had seen no more but clealry I was on a good thing, so I went for a drive around nearby bits of the forest, clocking several Fallow Deer and a Rabbit, then came back for a second go. This time a stream of about seven boars thundered across the road and into the picnic areas screened by bushes and trees. Further down I could see another sounder grubbing along the side of the road and these seemed more settled. I drifted the car up towards them and they set off sedately along the verge before beginning to cross in front of me. I stopped and got the camera out clumsily (always the way under pressure - is it just me?), managing to just get a poor record shot of the slowest one.

Suddenly I had a queue of four cars behind me - bear in mind I'm in the approach to a car park that's supposed to be locked! - and I made my way round the circuit and back out with them trailing me and still more cars arriving. This was after all the Forest of Dean so I decided that was it for the night and, after a brief drive around Milkwall where I failed to find any skunks, headed off into Wales.

My night in the four-wheeled B&B, parked on the seafront at New Quay,was disturbed by a local advising me to remove the keys from the ignition and move into the back seat, as the local cops would otherwise do me for drink driving. Since Tuesday I hadn't had a drink, so I wasn't unduly worried, but who needs the hassle? I curled up in the back and slept until the growing light at 0600 woke me.

The weather was fine and there was little wind, so I grabbed some gear and walked down to the quay to look for Bottlenose Dolphins. The Seawatch Foundation sightings page had reported multiple sightings from the habrour every day for a week or so, which was a good omen. It took me half an hour to find a big, deep-chested Bottlenose Dolphin loitering about three or four hundred yards off shore and I watched it for another half hour until it vanished in that baffling way they have.

A sandwich and some necessary morning processes later I was back on the quay and a chap fishing whistled me across to tell me the dolphin was more or less under the quay. Of course by the time I arrived it was further away, but still only fifty yards off, and the light was now full. I began taking photos but by the time the first dolphin trip was leaving with me on it I only had fins and rear-ends.

The trip included the first local Grey Seal birth of the season, an array of raptors along the coast (loads of Buzzards and Red Kites, a Kestrel and a Peregrine) but no dolphins. When we arrived back the best views were still from the quay, and I stayed taking pix till about 1300 when I headed for home. I missed the only full breach of the session - saw it but it was so far different from what the animal had been doing, I was far too slow to react.

The traffic on the way back was light and I had an easy drive to complete my expedition on 48 for the year. Anybody seeing Hedgehogs regularly?

Pix later

John

Hi Mark,

Funnily enough your name came up in discussion between Marion and I this morning in this regard....

Are they regular and could I come and see them? It seems ludicrous to go such a distance for a Hedgehog but I've only seen 2 Hedgehog pizzas in Farnborough all year!

The decline locally seems to have been near-catastrophic.

Cheers

John

Pix from the trip

Wild Boar record shot
Bottlenose Dolphin X 2
Infant Grey Seal X 2, first shot shows seal's idea of a safe haul-out.

John

Attachments

• 2012_08_31_Wild_Boar (780x520).jpg
    2012_08_31_Wild_Boar (780x520).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012_09_01_Bottlenose_Dolphin1 (780x520).jpg
    2012_09_01_Bottlenose_Dolphin1 (780x520).jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 2012_09_01_Bottlenose_Dolphin2 (780x520).jpg
    2012_09_01_Bottlenose_Dolphin2 (780x520).jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 2012_09_01_Grey_Seal_infant1 (780x520).jpg
    2012_09_01_Grey_Seal_infant1 (780x520).jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2012_09_01_Grey_Seal_infant2 (780x520).jpg
    2012_09_01_Grey_Seal_infant2 (780x520).jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 62
Hi Mark,

Funnily enough your name came up in discussion between Marion and I this morning in this regard....

Are they regular and could I come and see them? It seems ludicrous to go such a distance for a Hedgehog but I've only seen 2 Hedgehog pizzas in Farnborough all year!

Cheers

John

I feed them every night so are pretty regular

Mark

Can't believe I've got a British mammal on my yearlist that John hasn't. Damning evidence of a decline if ever there was some.

Still seem to be doing ok down here (as well as the white-toothed shrews and endemic voles if any of you listers fancy extended your lists to the British Isles ;))

Once they had gone we settled down to some serious dormouse hunting

If you look carefully at the photographs below you can see the Edible Dormouse has one of my sultanas in its mouth, so perhaps they did achieve something.

Notwithstanding the minor difficulties, a good evening out. I recommend checking forecast wind as well as rain before deciding to give them a go.

John

Encouraged by your pix, and armed with gen from Mark (thanks!), I tried Wendover on Sun evening. Prob 30 animals calling around dusk, then a handful of glimpses of Olympic-speed animals running along branches, then enjoyed two fabulous encounters before heading home at 2130. One was in the yew opposite the big beech tree, the other between the car park and the main road! With apologies for thread-hijacking, can't resist posting images...

James

Attachments

• eEdible-Dormouse_Wendover-Woods_020912_JCL_0408.jpg
    eEdible-Dormouse_Wendover-Woods_020912_JCL_0408.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 70
  • eEdible-Dormouse_Wendover-Woods_020912_JCL_0412.jpg
    eEdible-Dormouse_Wendover-Woods_020912_JCL_0412.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 75
Mark Hows rang me Sunday to suggest a trip for the Long-finned Pilot Whales in the Firth of Forth, since not all of them had gone on the beach. I judged it a reasonable bet and agreed to meet at his place. Rubbish traffic on the M25 delayed me but eventually I was making my way through the village before his when a round lump loomed in the road. I slid a wheel each side without feeling any tragic bumps and braked to a stop. By the time I had scrambled out and legged it down to the spot the lump had vanished, so Hedgehog had joined the year list: 49 mammals in 2012. A good start.

Since Mark's car habitually breaks down in Scotland we took mine. It wasn't a bad night for a drive and the traffic on the A1 was minimal, so we arrived at Pittenweem as th sun came up to find Scotland's least helpful policeman preventing us from parking in the field where clearly yesterday's public and the remaining media were welcome. We made our way into the nearest fishing village, a planner's nightmare of narrow cul-de-sacs and double yellow lines, to join the coastal path, walk along to the cliff overlooking the Pilot Whale mortuary and strike up a conversation with a very helpful policewoman who told us everything that had been going on, including the direction in which the refloated animals had left.

We searched the outer firth thoroughly over the next few hours as we had no evidence that the refloated whales had rejoined the animals that had never got into trouble.At the end of the morning we had learned that all fishing villages are built on the same pattern, so its not as random as it looks; that the locals were divided into a pleasant lilt and an unintelligible gabble (one bloke told me an entire sentence in which the only word I understood was "dae" and that meant "do", which gives you some idea!); and being in a place where the bank is entirely boarded up except for the cash machine gives you an itch between the shoulder-blades.

On the grounds that we couldn't search the whole North Sea but could check the Firth of Forth we moved gradually towards the bridges, finding stopping places with views of the water.

These included a car park where the burger van served us the worst cup of tea in the world ever, a lorry park where refrigerated vehicles were instructed to park with the refrigeration units facing away from the flats (why? would the inhabitants let fly with the old AK47 through the cooling slats? As the tenement architecture was school of communist East Germany it seemed a possibility), and an up-market housing development with a remarkable roundabout with one entrance and one exit. Any attempt to add more exits would have resulted in cars falling into the firth.

We also began to get a little tired of being told by grockles just how close the whales had been feeding yesterday.

Mark was monitoring updates from BBC News that would have given us hope - except that we had been to the site, heard the local version and could recognise all the "news" as total bullshit. The coastguard was not "monitoring the whales for 24 hours" it was standing around the deaders making sure the absent live ones did not return and fall onto that particular bit of coast out of the 30 miles each side they had to choose from. We had watched the firth for hours and there were no boats out.

A veterinary college had removed the head from one of the whales for autopsy. The BBC on site didn't know how they had selected the individual or why the vets thought the head would give them the answer. Incidentally, for those who believe whales beach because gently sloping sand confuses them, this lot had launched themselves onto a jaggedly ridged rocky shore with a boulder beach at the top of it.

The council had meanwhile come up with a great idea.The sixteen dead whales, which if left alone would decompose and be eaten by gulls and other scavengers, were at great cost to be put into crates, winched up the cliff and taken away - to landfill, where they would decompose and be eaten by gulls and other scavengers.....

BTW the beach had several tonnes of decomposing seaweed, gull corpses, old tyres and rusty bits of cars and boats, miles of nylon rope and net etc on it. There was no proposal for moving any of that to landfill.

Anyway, on we went. By 1400 we still hadn't seen any live whales and it seemed a long shot that we might. There had been no reports on the day. As we crossed the Forth Road Bridge southwards, I suggested to Mark that we really ought to pop down to South Queensferry and have a look at the firth from that side, with the sun behind us. He talked me out of it and we drove to Eyemouth for Northern Brown Argus. As we parked the sun went in, as we left after half an hour it came out again.

We knew we were beat. Down to Alnwick where we were served fine fish and chips (haggis and chips for Mark) and onward through the late afternoon and evening. I was home at 2230 which was great. I had no difficulty sleeping.

I got up in the morning to find a text from Mark: I see we missed the whales then!

They had been showing well below Deep Sea World, which is perched by the bridges, at North Queensferry. Aaargh!

John

Last edited:
At work I had some difficulty concentrating and this was not improved by a suggestion from Simon that another attempt should be made. After some dithering I nerved myself to obtain clearances from the two bosses again and a Wednesday trip was on.

Obviously I was trying to think of success, but a little voice in the back of my mind questioned the wisdom of risking a truly horrendous double-dip. I ignored it.

Eventually it was time to go and I made my way round an empty M25 to Simon's place, where I was greeted in the car park by a neat, well groomed young fox whose white-tipped brush was gradually filling out. Gear was transferred and I sank thankfully into a seat other than the driver's. We had no notable wildlife on the way to Mark's but a black Rabbit was feeding on a verge near the A11 as we headed off North after picking him up.

The road seemed terribly familiar, mainly because it was. I will gloss over the long miles of the A1 and the early morning rush hour grimness of the Edinburgh City bypass. Soon enough we were blinking into the sunlight from the north shore of the Firth of Forth, looking at huge packs of feeding Gannets and thinking that there must surely be cetaceans under one of these hurries.

Mark suddenly yelled that he had two but they ducked under and we couldn't relocate them despite optical grilling followed by zipping round to the relevant headland and searching up close and personal.

By 0930 we were still whale-less and I advanced the opinion that they might have gone upstream of the bridges. After all, that was where I had eventually found the Orca I twitched a few years ago. We drove round to the dead-end road (unfortunate phrase I know) that places you literally under the road bridge overlooking the inner firth from the north shore, pointing out to Simon on the way the spot where we had seen a bloke get literally dumped the day before. His female partner stopped the car, insisted on him getting out, there was some gesticulation and she got in and rove off, leaving him to plod away with slumped shoulders, some considerable walking distance from anywhere.

We had been on site about a minute, and hadn't even braved the chilly breeze, when I remarked "got 'em." The Long-finned Pilot Whale pod was about half a mile away, keeping to the deep channel and just loafing about in a rough circuit keeping them approximately in one place. There was a noticeable release of tension in our shoulders once everybody was on the animals. A couple of minutes though the bins and it was time to get out the heavy weaponry, scopes and cameras. There was no likelihood of challenging for Wildlife Photographer of the Year but after the last couple of days I was quite happy with any old record shots, the more so as this was my fiftieth mammal in the British Isles this year.

We had a reasonable expectation that sooner or later the whales would come closer, but they hadn't read the script and gradually drifted upstream, very much against the current as the tide was ebbing as well as the river coming down. A few people stopped to ask if we were looking for the whales and it was with some pride and relief that we told them we were not only lolking for them but at them. Naturally we gave them views.

Eventually it dawned on us that if we wanted to get closer we would have to go to them, so we crossed the bridge and tried a few places on the south side, eventually getting opposite them from Blackness Castle where we also had a celebratory icecream. Incidentally, a couple of OAPs having a bit of a grope by the seawall were less than pleased at our approach, while we felt they were too old for such public snogging. Discuss.....

Although we were opposite them it seemed to us they were nearer the north shore so we recrossed the bridge (we'd have thought twice about that if there was still a toll: at last something to thank oily Alex for) and managed to get opposite them there, to find that they were keeping station perfectly equidistant from either bank.

With many miles to get home and the afternoon this time gone it was past time to give up and head off. The Edinburgh rush hour was not dreadful but contained one or two people whose licenses we begged leave to doubt. Once again we dined on the produce of Carlo's at Alnwick and then it was just grinding out the miles home. Simon had a Polecat as we entered Cambridgeshire but Mark and I missed it, starting up out of sleep at Simon's shout.

I reached home at about 0300 and again had no difficulty sleeping!

Pix tomorrow if you're lucky.

John

What John might have not conveyed in the report was that neither of us needed these as a life tick, we were just year ticking them!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back