• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Technique in Wildlife Programmes (1 Viewer)

PSJ

Peter
Many times i've been fascinated by the great BBC birdseries featuring David Attenborough. For quit a while i have wondered how some of the most magnificent pictures are taken.
For instance when a Kingfisher after lunch are being filmed from under water capturing af fish, at very short distance.

I would be glad to here from anybody who knows how pictures like these and others are taken.

Peter

PS: Are some of them computered?

I know at least one of the Attenborough series had an extra programme showing how some of the shots of wild-life had been filmed, although I can't remember any examples. Some underwater filming was done using an aquarium rather than in the wild though, but presumably not the sequence with the kingfisher!

They did show how the kingfisher shot was obtained. I can't remember the exact details, but I think it involved the camera in a waterproof housing, under a tank holding the fish. This was then placed into the stream where the kingfisher came. It took a great deal of skill, time and patience to get the broadcast shots. It was all live action. no computers.

AndyC

My personal pasttime is watching wildlife films for how they were done!

BBC knows all places where wild animals were tamed by scientists or reserve managers around the world. That is how many photos are made. Also, big series like "Life of birds" is a teamwork of many photographers sending footage from all over the world. Sir David himself did not visit all the birds shown. Nest close-ups are camera buried in grass near the nest. Some footage shows captive animals. Usually all longer scenes (like predator chasing prey) are composed from many different footages.

EG. you might notice that when egret catches fish (filmed from below), the remaining fish don't swim away. Egret is picking them from small aquarium or jar put above the camera.

Falcons chasing birds are veery problematic, I remember somebody arguing that they were composed not just from different hunts, but the falcon itself changed species several times in "one hunt".

When Goshawk catches a bird, note how the angle of camera changes. It is a tame bird whizzing just in front the cameraman from one side to another. Then the Goshawk lands in the middle of open meadow. The next scene shows a close-up of it. Nobody can creep in short grass until 0,5 m from the hawk. Yes, a tame bird again.

Some auks swimming underwater are in artifical light with solid rocky backdrop. Aquarium tank. Notes at the end allows you to read, that this was Cincinnati Zoo.

Happily, in this series you don't see many concrete rocks, gardener plants, blocked backdrops and other signs of zoo/cage photography.

"Life of birds" is actually much less edited than Attenborough earlier films, and certainly much more faithful than eg. Jeff Corwin with mostly tame animals. But looking carefully, you will still notice a lot!

Thanks for the very informative answers.
I found a text on PBS' website about how they maked the series.
It sounded a bit more idyllic, for instance they didn't mentioned any Zoo's or tanks (off course) ;)

I'm not sure what is PBS, but looking forward to see it. But almost every film with wild animals has similar tricks. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back