• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paypal scam account restriction email (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I received this mail yesterday that had been sent into my junk folder.
I had a good look at it and realised its one of those ones trying to get your Paypal account details.
It looks like something that Paypal might send, but look at the return address:
Paypl.com

Don't get caught out!

Incidentally Paypl.com is registered in Beijing!

Attachments

• Paypl.jpg
    Paypl.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 180
The other giveaway is that its not addressed personally. Dear customer... should be an automatic red flag.

Andy

On a similar theme, I sometimes get this kind of stuff from variations of yahoo which are attempts to get me to divulge personal information to the schemers.

I had a genuine account review a few weeks back. Although I did double check with PayPal before I did the review. I would definitely send this to PayPal as I would say thousands of these mailings have been sent.

Regards Gerard.

Alan, that's a great heads up - thanks!

Not so easy to pick up at first glance, but as AndyC said, the "Hello customer" bit is a real giveaway.

Not the typical 'Chinglish' of some lesser attempts, in fact the grammar, and language is quite good, borrowing much of PayPal's own phraseology.

Allowing ActiveX scripts in this case could be devastating, as could opening the attached zip file.

I would report it not only to PayPal, but also your equivalent of the Federal Police.

Chosun :gh:

I too have had this, variation was the return address was paypaI (ending in a capital I eye), looked very convincing at first glance.

Others I had were the Met Police scam email and the 'Microsoft Security dept' phone call - in fact got this twice in the same week. One introduced himself as 'Edward' with a very definite and thick Asian accent who later changed to Micheal during the conversation. needless to say they were reported to relevant authorities.

For me, the giveaway is that "personal information" is being asked for. the internet is not a secure medium and any financial institution will tell you that they never operate in this way. The whole purpose of having a password is that only YOU know what it is.

I am in the process of changing my broadband and home phone to an alternative provider and forgot my password. I was informed that my password could not be provided over the phone, if I could not remember it, it would have to be reset.

If in any doubt, contact the organisation the email is supposed to originate from, and ask for verification that they indeed sent it and the situation exists.

Be wary of clicking on links within a site or email, the ONLY way you can be sure you are going to the actual site, in this case paypal is to physically enter "paypal.com" and hit enter or go, or whatever command to go to that URL

It may also be worth amending the image you attached and removing your email address.
Thanks for the thought, as its a JPG it would not be available to the automatic scammers, but you're right. I shouldn't have left it in! Editing of the original post % JPG is not available now!

Thanks for the thought, as its a JPG it would not be available to the automatic scammers, but you're right. I shouldn't have left it in! Editing of the original post % JPG is not available now!

Hi Alan, I'm posting this as I'm not sure what you can do as opposed to what a Mod can (I could certainly delete that image for you).

I think you can through your Control Panel. If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see an option "Attachments"; click on that and it should come up with all the pictures you've uploaded to threads (latest at the top). There should be a tick box to the right of it then if you scroll down to the bottom, there's an option to "delete selected".

If you want to edit it, you can e-mail me an amended copy and I'll replace it for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back