• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bird taxa (1 Viewer)

Martens & Bahr 2016:
5. Neue Namen
[...]
Seicercus klossi muleyitensis Dickinson & Christidis, 2014
The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World. 4th edition. Volume 2. Passerines. Aves Press, Eastbourne, 503.
Taxonomie: S. klossi muleyitensis ist ein neuer Name für Acanthopneuste davisoni Oates, 1889 (= Phylloscopus davisoni). Dieser Name ist innerhalb von Seicercus von Acanthopneuste davisoni Sharpe, 1888 präokkupiert. Durch diese Homonymie ist die Neubenennung des Taxons davisoni notwendig. In einem Corrigendum teilen Dickinson & Christidis (2015) mit, dass muleyetensis eine monotypische Art darstellt; sie entspricht dem früheren Phylloscopus davisoni – somit Seicercus muleyitensis Dickinson & Christidis, 2014.
Benennung: Sie wird von den Autoren nicht erklärt.
There's a small slip here. (Of course the above can't be correct, because the two davisoni would be primary homonyms, in which case the junior one should not be in use at all.)
S. klossi muleyitensis is a new name for Acanthopneuste davisoni Oates, 1889 [OD] (= Phylloscopus davisoni (Oates) under traditional generic circumscriptions). This name is preoccupied within Seicercus by Cryptolopha davisoni Sharpe, 1888 [OD] (= Seicercus montis davisoni (Sharpe)).
(The name is indeed not explained, but evidently formed from Mt Muleyit (the type locality of Acanthopneuste davisoni Oates; "Mooleyit" in the OD; Tanasserim, Myanmar) + the Latin adjectival suffix -ensis, -e, "originating in".)

I have some reservations about the availability of Himalayapsitta, Nicopsitta and Alexandrinus . In the other hand, split the fairly homogenous Psittacula into several genera is not necessary in my opinion.

I have some reservations about the availability of Himalayapsitta, Nicopsitta and Alexandrinus . In the other hand, split the fairly homogenous Psittacula into several genera is not necessary in my opinion.
I have no real problems with the names. (But I think I know some who would. ;))

I still have problems, OTOH, with the nomenclatural use of Palaeornis that was proposed by Braun et al 2016 and seems accepted here.
(As it stands, the type of Palaeornis is Psittacus alexandri Linnaeus by original designation. Not P. eupatria. Using the name for the latter would require a published act effectively changing the type species and citing Article 70.3.2 to this effect. Such an act would conflict more or less directly with Opinion 2332 of the ICZN, however: there, it was ruled that Palaeornithinae Vigors 1825 was an objective junior synonym of Psittaculinae Vigors 1825, which in turn implies directly that Palaeornis Vigors and Psittacula Cuvier must themselves be objective synonyms. (Albeit, I must say, this entire Case was fairly absurd, IMO.))

PS - This, in M&B 2018:
Hooper et al. (2016) stellen sich strikt gegen die Einführung einer eigenen Gattung für den Rotschwanzschnäpper. Voelker et al. (2016) hätten im Vergleich zu kleine Stichproben verwendet, die zu Fehlern in der Baumtopologie führten und legen selbst eine komplette molekulare Phylogenie vor. Aus der geht hervor, dass M. ruficauda inmitten aller anderen Muscicapa-Arten steht. Sie erklären Ripleya und Ripleyornis zu Synonymen von Muscicapa.
...is of course not correct.

So, these names are available, ok. I read their diagnosis and they looked a lil' bit poor in terms of description although a type species is fixed for each of the genera .

... Because it's a synonym of Ficedula (subgenus Ficedula)

I have no real problems with the names. (But I think I know some who would. ;))

I still have problems, OTOH, with the nomenclatural use of Palaeornis that was proposed by Braun et al 2016 and seems accepted here.
(As it stands, the type of Palaeornis is Psittacus alexandri Linnaeus by original designation. Not P. eupatria. Using the name for the latter would require a published act effectively changing the type species and citing Article 70.3.2 to this effect. Such an act would conflict more or less directly with Opinion 2332 of the ICZN, however: there, it was ruled that Palaeornithinae Vigors 1825 was an objective junior synonym of Psittaculinae Vigors 1825, which in turn implies directly that Palaeornis Vigors and Psittacula Cuvier must themselves be objective synonyms. (Albeit, I must say, this entire Case was fairly absurd, IMO.))

A molecular phylogeny of the genus Psittacula sensu lato (Aves: Psittaciformes: Psittacidae: Psittacula, Psittinus, Tanygnathus, †Mascarinus) with taxonomic implications
MICHAEL P. BRAUN, THOMAS DATZMANN, THOMAS ARNDT, MATTHIAS REINSCHMIDT, HEINZ SCHNITKER, NORBERT BAHR, HEDWIG SAUER-GÜRTH, MICHAEL WINK

Abstract

The long-tailed parakeets of the genus Psittacula Cuvier, 1800 have thus far been regarded as a homogeneous and monophyletic group of parrots. We used nucleotide sequences of two genetic markers (mitochondrial CYTB, nuclear RAG-1) to reconstruct the phylogenetic relationships of Psittacula and closely related species. We found that the Asian genus Psittacula is apparently paraphyletic because two genera of short-tailed parrots, Psittinus Blyth, 1842 and Tanygnathus Wagler, 1832, cluster within Psittacula, as does †Mascarinus Lesson, 1830. To create monophyletic genera, we propose recognition of the following genera: Himalayapsitta Braun, 2016 for P. himalayana, P. finschii, P. roseata, and P. cyanocephala; Nicopsitta Braun, 2016 for P. columboides and P. calthrapae; Belocercus S. Müller, 1847 for P. longicauda; Psittacula Cuvier, 1800 for P. alexandri and P. derbiana; Palaeornis Vigors, 1825 for †P. wardi and P. eupatria; and Alexandrinus Braun, 2016 for P. krameri, †P. exsul, and P. (eques) echo. Additionally, Psittacula krameri and P. alexandri are paraphyletic species, which should be split to form monophyletic species.

https://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4563.3.8

...; and Alexandrinus Braun, 2016 for P. krameri, †P. exsul, and P. (eques) echo.
Idiotic to name the new genus with a name that implies inclusion of either Psittacula alexandri and/or Alexandrine Parakeet [P. eupatria], when it contains neither. This is going to create confusion for decades to come. Surely they could have come up with something more sensible?

Idiotic to name the new genus with a name that implies inclusion of either Psittacula alexandri and/or Alexandrine Parakeet [P. eupatria], when it contains neither. This is going to create confusion for decades to come. Surely they could have come up with something more sensible?

Merging Tanygnathus, Mascarinus and Psittinus into Psittacula to create a heterogeneous and disparate genus?

Merging Tanygnathus, Mascarinus and Psittinus into Psittacula to create a heterogeneous and disparate genus?
Not necessary; they should just have thought of a more sensible (less misleading) name for the new genus that includes P. krameri. Unfortunately too late now, unless someone can discover an old text that makes Alexandrinus preoccupied.

A molecular phylogeny of the genus Psittacula sensu lato (Aves: Psittaciformes: Psittacidae: Psittacula, Psittinus, Tanygnathus, †Mascarinus) with taxonomic implications
MICHAEL P. BRAUN, THOMAS DATZMANN, THOMAS ARNDT, MATTHIAS REINSCHMIDT, HEINZ SCHNITKER, NORBERT BAHR, HEDWIG SAUER-GÜRTH, MICHAEL WINK

Abstract

The long-tailed parakeets of the genus Psittacula Cuvier, 1800 have thus far been regarded as a homogeneous and monophyletic group of parrots. We used nucleotide sequences of two genetic markers (mitochondrial CYTB, nuclear RAG-1) to reconstruct the phylogenetic relationships of Psittacula and closely related species. We found that the Asian genus Psittacula is apparently paraphyletic because two genera of short-tailed parrots, Psittinus Blyth, 1842 and Tanygnathus Wagler, 1832, cluster within Psittacula, as does †Mascarinus Lesson, 1830. To create monophyletic genera, we propose recognition of the following genera: Himalayapsitta Braun, 2016 for P. himalayana, P. finschii, P. roseata, and P. cyanocephala; Nicopsitta Braun, 2016 for P. columboides and P. calthrapae; Belocercus S. Müller, 1847 for P. longicauda; Psittacula Cuvier, 1800 for P. alexandri and P. derbiana; Palaeornis Vigors, 1825 for †P. wardi and P. eupatria; and Alexandrinus Braun, 2016 for P. krameri, †P. exsul, and P. (eques) echo. Additionally, Psittacula krameri and P. alexandri are paraphyletic species, which should be split to form monophyletic species.

https://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/view/zootaxa.4563.3.8

Recommends splitting:
  • the Asian taxa manillensis and borealis from the African krameri as A. manillensis (Bechstein)
  • P. alexandri between the isolated Java population (alexandri) and the mainland population of SE Asia (fasciata) including the Andaman Islands (abbotti)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back