• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eponyms in German journals (1 Viewer)

And regarding "Accipiter koeneni" KLEINSCHMIDT 1938

A simple Google Books search for "Accipiter koeneni" gives us the following "Snippet view" (attached):
"Ich nenne die ostpreußische Formrasse Accipiter tischleri und die rheinische Accipiter koeneni, weil HERR KOENEN, der Maler herrlicher Raubvogelbilder, mit einer Reihe deutscher Habichtbrustbeine seiner Sammlung meinen jahrelangen …"

Another (German?) one I know nothing about.

Attachments

• books.png
    books.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
The sentence is incomplete, hence cannot be fully understood. Should be something like:
"I name the East Prussian racial form Accipiter tischleri ​​and the one from the Rhine Accipiter koeneni, because Mr. KOENEN, the painter of magnificent illustrations of bird of prey, [missing verb] my years-long [missing noun] with a series of German Goshawk sternums from his collection [...]."

"KOENEN" is in caps; it may be that this would be written "Könen" in lower case. But I know nothing about him either...

Good try, Laurent ...

During yet another visit to the Library I (ones again astray from my main task) happened to find the three missing Falco's!

● "Accipiter koeneni" KLEINSCHMIDT 1938
The Google Books Snippet view was correct, but the full quote is:
"Ich nenne die ostpreußische Formrasse Accipiter tischleri und die rheinische Accipiter koeneni, weil HERR KOENEN, der Maler herrlicher Raubvogelbilder, mit einer Reihe deutscher Habichtbrustbeine seiner Sammlung meninen jahrelangen Untersuschungen die letzte Bestätigung gab."
There is no further mention of Mr. Koenen in the Type description article. I guess his full name will be found in any of Otto Kleinschmitdt's own publications? Or in Bährmann's article in "Mitt. d. V. Sächs. Orn. V, 4, 1937"*, the only other reference that Kleinschmidt mention in the OD.

*Mitteilungen des Vereins Sächsischer Ornithologen

● "Larus argentatus drosti" KLEINSCHMIDT 1939
= the quite well-known German ornithologist Professor Rudolf Drost (1892–1971), whose full name was Rudolf Karl Theodor Drost.
He was both Curator and Head of Staatlichen Biologischen Anstalt auf Helgoland (the National Biological Institute on Helgoland) – today better known as Vogelwarte Helgoland.

● "Tyto alba hauchecornei" KLEINSCHMIDT 1940
This name is presented for the first time in a short notice regarding Alfred Laubmann's Die Vögel von Paraguay, in two parts (1939-1940). The only explanation for this name, mentioned here by Kleinschmidt is as follows:
"Eine Riesenarbeit* war hier zu leisten, um einen klaren Einblick in diesen Teil des tiergeographish so überaus wichtigen Gesamtbildes von Südamerika zu ermöglichen."
And in the Foot-note Kleinschmidt adds:
*"Ein Beispiel, wie diese sich weiter auswirkt: Im Zoologischen Garten in Köln sah ich zwei Schleiereulen aus Chile, die mir HAUCHECORNE, als sie später nacheinander in ganz unversehrtem Gefieder eingingen, zuschickte und von denen ich sorgfältige Balg- und Skeletpräparate anfertigen konnte."
= I assume (without understanding much German) that we´re aiming at the German Zoo Director Friedrich Hauchecorne (1894–1938), first he was Director of the Zoological Garden in Halle and then, between 1929 till his death in 1938, Director of the Zoological Garden in Cologne (Köln) a k a Kölner Zoo.

Well that´s two out of three!

Anyone know anything of Mr. Koenen? Or "Könen" ...?

PS. And as a pure bonus ... regarding:
● "hoerningi"
I also found the Obituary of the fairly un-known German Field ornithologist, Richard Hörning comemmorated in the (today invalid) "Sitta hoerningi" (syn. Sitta europaea caesia) who died: "Im alter von 82 Jahren starb … "the 6th of May 1940. Mr. Hörning was apparently also "Oberlehrer" and a frequent "Jäger" (hunter) with a "zielsicheren Waffe" ("sharpshooting Weapon"), while other "... Feldornithologen jagen heute mit der Kamera" ("... Field Ornithologist nowadays hunt with the Camera") … and an ornithologist as important (to German Ornithology) as Christian Ludwig Brehm.

Last edited:
5 X Ornithologische Monatsberichte

On yet another visit to the Library I found the No. 40, 41 and 42 issues of James's missing Ornithologische Monatsberichte … telling us:

edithae
… in "Edolisoma tenuirostre edithae" STRESEMANN 1932: "MRS. GEORGE BAKER zu Ehren benannt" ("Named after MRS. GEORGE BAKER").

From what I can see: No further notes on whomever Mrs. George Baker (nor he) was … and I haven´t looked for either one of them.

chui
… in "Tribura tacsanowskia chui" YEN 1933: "Ich benenne diesen Vogel zu Ehren Prof. Chu, vormaligem Direktor der Sun-Yatsen Universität, der unseren Expeditionen alle erforderlichen Unterstützungen erteilt hat und noch erteilt".

That´s all that´s written about Prof. Chu. See Michael Rieser's translation in Post No. #18.

tornowi
… in "Pternistis afer tornowi" MEISE 1933 (on p.142):"Diese Subspezies möchte ich zu Ehren des Förderers der Matengo-Expedition nennen …".

Who this Tornow who sponsored the "Matengo-Expeditionen", was I do not know, nor have I tried to trace him.

The Expedition itself (according to the Introduction) went to the "Kolonie Deutsch-Ostafrika" ( the Colony German East Africa) and explored the Matengohochland (the Matengo Highland) between May 1930 to May 1932, when its collector Franz Andreas Naumann and taxidermist Robert Reichert collected and prepared hundreds of Birds (and Mammals).

gertrudis
… in "Serinus mozambicus gertrudis" GROTE 1934: No explicit dedication, from what I can see.

The only persons referred to in the OD is "W. L. Sclater", "V. G. L. Van Someren", "N. Gyldenstolpe" and its collector "Hofmann" (who collected type type, a male specimen, 24 July 1911. I would guess "Gertrud" to be the wife of either one of those men…? Or Grote's!?

Maybe the truth is hidden in some of the Works mentioned in the foot-note (See attached OD)?

naumanni
… in "Pycnonotus tricolor naumanni" MEISE 1934: "Benannt zu Ehren des Bildhauers FRANZ ANDREAS NAUMANN, dessen mehrjährige Forschungen im Südwesten ehemaligen Deutsch-Ostafrikas Wertvolles Sammelgut lieferten".

Who this Franz Andreas Naumann is (more than the above, see: tornowi) … I don´t know either!? Though see Michael's Post No. #17 and No #20.

I don´t even get what "Bildhauers" mean? Google Translate tells me: "Sculptor"!?

Good luck in any further attempts trying to pin-point them!

---

PS. Also in No. 41 (1) YEN 1933; some additional info regarding: "Cinclus pallasii sini":from the Introduction (p.15) "In einer Vogelsamlung aus Süd-China, die mir Herr Prof. S. S. SIN von der Sun Yatsen-Universität in Kanton nach Paris gesandt hat, habe ich einige interessante neue Unterarten gefunden, …" and in the OD itself (same page)"Ich benenne diesen Vogel zu Ehren von Prof. S. S. SIN, der seit vier Jahren mehrere Expeditionen zur Untersuchung der Fauna Süd-Chinas ausgesandt hat".

Maybe it´s possible to trace (and expand) our knowledge of him as well. Compare with James's HBW Alive Key (here) and (here).

Cheers!

Attachments

• ... gertrudis.jpg
    ... gertrudis.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 72
We´re slowly getting there ...

Well, if I counted it right, of all James's various German journals (and Eponyms) in this lengthy thread, this only leaves us with only a few … still missing:

Beiträge zur Gattungssystematik der Vögel
1949 Carduelis mozambica magdalenae Wolters, p. 13

Mitteilungen über die Vogelwelt. Stuttgart.
1920 Florisuga mellivora speideli Floericke, 19, p. 3
1921 Otus bakkamoena linae Floericke, p. 103

Anyone?

Regarding the "Edolisoma tenuirostre edithae"

I simply couldn´t keep my fingers away from this one …

edithae
… as in "Edolisoma tenuirostre edithae" STRESEMANN 1932 … I guess (though I don´t know!) she´s the same US wife (and widow) Edith alt. Edith Baker née Edith Brevoort Kane* as in the Generic (invalid/synonymous?) name "Edithornis" MAYR 1933 i. e. the only known specimen of today's Makira/San Cristobal Moorhen (Gallinula) Pareudiastes silvestris MAYR 1933.

*Brevoort was her Grandmother's (i. e. her father's mother's) Maiden name.

Born in New York City, 29 March 1884 … on October 14, 1911 married to George Fisher Baker, Jr. (1878–1937) … whom she out-lived by almost 40 years! … and she died, herself, in Glen Cove, Nassau County, just outside New York, the 8th of April 1977 – shortly after turning 93 years old.

Anyone think otherwise?

Last edited:
Eponyms on hold ...

Anyone having any luck finding the last missing German Journals? As in Post No. # 45 … especially the two issues of:
Mitteilungen über die Vogelwelt. Stuttgart.
1921 Otus bakkamoena linae Floericke, p. 103

Without having seen the OD's I have some little ideas of whom "Speidel" and "Lina" could, might have been …
---

Last edited:
The full sentence

The sentence is incomplete, hence cannot be fully understood. Should be something like:
"I name the East Prussian racial form Accipiter tischleri ​​and the one from the Rhine Accipiter koeneni, because Mr. KOENEN, the painter of magnificent illustrations of bird of prey, [missing verb] my years-long [missing noun] with a series of German Goshawk sternums from his collection [...]."

"KOENEN" is in caps; it may be that this would be written "Könen" in lower case. But I know nothing about him either...

The sentence ends:

...Untersuchungen die letzte Bestätigung gab.

...research gave the last verification/ratification.

dedication Florisuga mellivora speideli:

nach Herrn Gustav Speidel dem hochherzigen Gönner und Förderer unserer Sammlungen

To Mr. Gustav Speidel the generous patron and sponsor of our collections.

1921 Otus bakkamoena linae

zu Ehren der Frau Kommerzienrat Lina Hähnle, der hochverdienten Begründerin und Leiterin des so erfolgreichen Stuttgarter "Bund für Vogelschutz" die heute in beneidenswerter Frische unter allgemeiner Anteilnahme ihren 70. Geburtstag feierte und deren deren ausgesprochene Lieblinge die Eulen von jeher gewesen sind.

in honor for councilor of commerce Mrs Lina Hähnle, the richly deserved founder and leader of the very successful Stuttgarter "Bund für Vogelschutz (organization for bird protection)", which celebrates today in enviable vigor and in general commodity her 70th birthday and whose highly favorites have beeen owl since long time.

Well found, Martin!

zu Ehren der Frau Kommerzienrat Lina Hähnle, der hochverdienten Begründerin und Leiterin des so erfolgreichen Stuttgarter "Bund für Vogelschutz" die heute in beneidenswerter Frische unter allgemeiner Anteilnahme ihren 70. Geburtstag feierte und deren deren ausgesprochene Lieblinge die Eulen von jeher gewesen sind.

in honor for councilor of commerce Mrs Lina Hähnle, the richly deserved founder and leader of the very successful Stuttgarter "Bund für Vogelschutz (organization for bird protection)", which celebrates today in enviable vigor and in general commodity her 70th birthday and whose highly favorites have beeen owl since long time.
= the fairly well-known German "Lina" Hähnle (18511941) a k a "Die Vogelmutter" (the Bird Mother)! Quite an honourary name ...

More about "Lina" (she was born Emilie Karoline Hähnle) see the following links : here, here or here (the former and latter with a little film!). Also see the entry of her in Deutsche Biographie (here)

And, Niels; she sure loved her Owls! See attached picture …
---

Attachments

• Lina with Owls_.jpg
    Lina with Owls_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
●Jahresberichte über die Wirksamkeit und den Zustand der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Emden.
1851 Turdus mure Kreling, p. 22.
I have not found this online but it is in the Smithsonian and Biodiversity Heritage Library has it on a list of works to digitize.
In an article in JFO Reichenbach reviewed it and the title is Verzeichniss der von dem Herrn Major Kreling zu
Padang im J. 1852 geschenkten Vogel. So the date is 1852 not 1851. The article starts on page 20. Padang is in Sumatra. In his review Reichenbach mentions some Turdus species but not mure. I have seen Major von Kreling as his name also. His first name starts with a W.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/49195#page/784/mode/1up .

His name was Wilke Kreling see here and here.

Mr. Koenen's (Northern) Goshawk

Continuation on koeneni ... see post 41-43 (and 48)

● "Accipiter koeneni" KLEINSCHMIDT 1938 [synonym of Accipiter gentilis LINNAEUS 1758]
"Ich nenne die ostpreußische Formrasse Accipiter tischleri und die rheinische Accipiter koeneni, weil HERR KOENEN, der Maler herrlicher Raubvogelbilder, ...."
I think (!) Kleinschmidt might have dedicated this Goshawk to the German zoologist and Artist (painter and illustrator) Fritz Koenen (1895–1978), illustrator of various zoological books (as well as Author of Rotfuchs 1952, about the Red Fox).

An example of his "Raubvogelbilder" (from 1934) attached ... found on eBay!

Disclaimer: This said without having found any direct link between Kleinschmidt and Koenen. However they both had the same publisher Die Neue Brehm-Bücherei (here).

So take it for what it´s worth, and; enjoy!

Björn
--

Attachments

• by Fritz Koenen (1895-1978).jpg
    by Fritz Koenen (1895-1978).jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Stresemann named the swiftlet Aerodramus sororum after the two sisters.
OD here
Ich nenne diese Form C. francica sororum zu Ehren der beiden Schwestern, die durch ihre unermüdliche Ausdauer und ihr präparatorisches Geschick so wesentlich zu dem großen Erfolg der Latimodjong-Expedition beigetragen haben.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds cliams
Sulawesi Swiftlet Aerodramus sororum Stresemann, 1931
Sulawesi Myzomela Myzomela chloroptera charlottae Stresemann, 1932 NCR [JS Myzomela chloroptera chloroptera]
Anneliese Heinrich née Machatschek (DNF) was the second wife of Gerd Heinrich (q.v.), and she and her younger sister Liselotte (Lotte) Machatschek were in Celebes (Sulawesi) (1930–1932) with Gerd, who later had an affair with Lotte. The sisters are commemorated collectively in the name of the swiftlet (sororum means 'of the sisters' in Latin).

I read al before but I was still confused as it started with Anneliese but OK it was named for Liselotte (equal to Charlotte)

Myzomela chloroptera charlottae Stresemann, 1932 OD here
Benannt nach Fräulein Liselotte Machatschek, dem in allen Mühsalen und Fährnissen unermüdlich tätigen Mitglied der Expedition.

But do we have the live dates of both? The Key to Scientific Names has:

Anneliese Heinrich née Machatchek (fl. 1945) first wife of German/Polish explorer Gerhardt Heinrich, and her sister Lieselotte Machatchek (fl. 1930), later mistress and partner of Heinrich (Mark Brown in litt.) (subsp. Aerodramus infuscatus).

Sure one have to read the posts before Marks post to understand more or less this complicated Ménage-à-trois.

P.S. And not to forget the life dates of Fräulein Marlis Heinrich.

Last edited:
Gerd Heinrich 1896–1984 (note spelling no idea why the key uses Gerhardt)

Marriage: 1924 Borowke, Nawitz, Lauenburg, Pomerania, Prussia, Germany

Anneliese Machaczek (note spelling) think this is correct and everyone is using the wrong spelling.

Gerd was imprisoned or just misplaced during the war (see attached) - not sure for what crime (or race issue). Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to the Machaczek sisters.

Attachments

• 70745758_1.jpg
    70745758_1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back