• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (1 Viewer)

Those are White-beaks, for sure. In the North Sea they are more likely than Common to start with, and the patterning and big falcate dorsals confirm the ID. Good show!

John

Could the be white-beaked dolphins?

Those are White-beaks, for sure. In the North Sea they are more likely than Common to start with, and the patterning and big falcate dorsals confirm the ID. Good show!

John

Thanks. You are absolutely right. I had a niggling feeling that they were not Commons, but had only considered Atlantic White-Sided. We have had White-Beaks before, but I had not picked out the white markings behind the dorsal. Now I've cropped another photo, I can see it. :t:

Attachments

• W B Dolphin.jpg
    W B Dolphin.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 85
First thing spotted this morning were some very distant dolphins. Still very quiet on the bird front, although today I have had 13 Common Gulls turn up. I dislike the use of the word "Common" in bird names. It seems to downgrade them in someway, and often these days, they are not necessarily that common.

Highlight of the week though is still Great Skua; now sighted on four consecutive days. It is a little victory every time I spot it (them), and makes a nice change from birds in black/grey/white.

Arctic First.

Having posted my last report at lunchtime today, I exited the Accom module and almost immediately spotted a brown bird flying over the sea. My first thought was that it would be another Great Skua, but there was something different about the way it was flying, and it looked smaller. I whipped out the monocular, located the bird and found that it had a long spike of a tail. As I watched, it moved to a position where I could see its white underparts, and then the dark cap. My first ever Arctic Skua I think.

I have considered Pomarine, which would also be a lifer, but I think my bird was too small, plus there were no spoons. Arctic is also a lot more likely where I am at this time of year.

Skuas

Skuas were not on my radar of probable birds for this year. Great Skua should have been, as I recorded a few last year, but Arctic has been a nice surprise.

I've looked back at the NSBC records for the lat few years, and both types of Skua only have a couple of sightings each for those years, although it is stated on the reports that this is probably due to a lack of sea watching. I tend to agree with this, as all my Skua sightings have been while I have been on the move from one place to another on the platform. In other words, I have to be in exactly the right place at the right time or I would miss out. It makes me wonder what I am missing on a regular basis, however, work demands don't allow for sea watching, other than in passing.

No Skuas spotted yesterday, but one Great Skua spotted early this morning by another worker. Still a few Common Gulls about, along with the usual handful of Fulmar and the passing Gannets. GBBG numbers building up. Now over sixty parked on our flare stack.

The 2017 List Updated
1. Herring Gull
2. Great Black-Backed Gull
3. Glaucous Gull
4. Iceland Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Kittiwake
7. Long-Tailed Duck
8. Common Scoter
9. Gannet
10. Guillemot
11. Greylag Goose
12. Collared Dove
13. Goldcrest
14. Woodpigeon.
15. Peregrine
16. Sparrowhawk
17. Blackbird
18. Common Gull
19. Pied Wagtail*
20. Yellowhammer*
21. Goldfinch
22. Siskin
23. Robin
24. Rock Pipit
25. Ruff (d)*
26. Golden Plover
27. Swallow
28. House Martin
29. Chiffchaff
30. Blackcap
31. Willow Warbler
32. Kestrel
33. Carrion Crow
34. Hooded Crow
35. Balearic Shearwater
36. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
37. Shag
38. Razorbill
39. Black-Headed Gull
40. Great Skua
41. Arctic Skua

Last edited:
I'd have thought Little Auk, Arctic Tern, Velvet Scoter and Whimbrel would be on the cards at some point. Are there many previous sightings for these species from the site? Plus Divers

I'd have thought Little Auk, Arctic Tern, Velvet Scoter and Whimbrel would be on the cards at some point. Are there many previous sightings for these species from the site? Plus Divers

We had a Velvet Scoter last year, but the others are all on the wanted list.

I've checked the NSBC records, and all of those birds are rare or very scarce offshore, especially the divers. Not impossible though, as my Velvet Scoter was a rare sighting.

Arctic Tern is is a difficult one with ID, but that said, there are not many sightings of other terns either.

Six in Seven

Sixth Great Skua sighting in seven days this morning. Bird landed on the water and stayed long enough for a few distant record shots. To put in context, the NSBC records for 2015, 2014, 2013, only have a couple of sightings for each year. I think I had two or maybe three GS sightings last year, so looks like a good Bonxie year.

Attachments

• Bonxie.jpg
    Bonxie.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Bonxie Wing.jpg
    Bonxie Wing.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 86
Sixth Great Skua sighting in seven days this morning. Bird landed on the water and stayed long enough for a few distant record shots. To put in context, the NSBC records for 2015, 2014, 2013, only have a couple of sightings for each year. I think I had two or maybe three GS sightings last year, so looks like a good Bonxie year.

Funny you should say this about the Skuas. Northern Norway has had an atrocious breeding season for them (and other birds) and a lot of the failed breeders are already moving south. We certainly have seen more Skuas than normal through Chanonry point for this time of year.

Another Great Skua spotted on the way up for lunch. Common Gull numbers up to 42 this morning, which I think is a record for the platform. Gannets, GBBGs and Fulmars as before. Possibly a Kittiwake this mornig, but I'm uncertain.

No more Black-Headed Gulls seen, which is quite strange for this time of year. Maybe they don't like Great Skuas! :-O

Dolphins still in the area. I've not seen them again, but a few of the guys have. A very large Grey Seal reported under the platform a few days ago. Also, a belated report of a Minke Whale seen last month

A few Common Gull photos

A few Common Gull photos.

Attachments

• CG1.jpg
    CG1.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 72
  • CG2.jpg
    CG2.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 81
  • CG3.jpg
    CG3.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 68
  • CG4.jpg
    CG4.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 64
Eighth Great Skua spotted this morning. Bird was seen from south side of platform heading west. Just as it was disappearing around the side of the platform, I picked up another dark bird heading towards me. I lost view of both as I moved around a shipping container to get a better viewpoint, but as I got around the obstruction, a Great Skua passed by at close quarters heading east. I couldn't locate the bird that had been heading west, so it may have been the same bird that doubled back. The second dark bird may have been a silhouetted gull that veered off somewhere else. I suspect there were two GS present, but as there is slight uncertainty, I'm only reporting one.

Common Gulls still present this morning, but numbers decreased today, having peaked at seventy plus. A definite adult Kittiwake spotted this morning amoung the CGs. Gannets, GBBGs and Fulmar as before.

No migrants yet.

Last edited:
First juvenile Kittiwake of the season turned up yesterday afternoon. It sat hunched in a corner up against the NE leg, looking a bit overwhelmed by it all. What I take to be the same bird was still here this morning.

Also spotted this morning was Great Skua number nine. The bird had a silvery fish in its beak and was being chased by a gang of GBBGs. Gannet numbers have increased in the area today, so I'm guessing that the GS robbed one of them of its catch.

Hardly any Fulmar about now, but the Common Gull numbers rose again overnight with 30+ now present. GBBG numbers at about 100.

Counting Gannets is the most difficult count. The gulls tend to sit on or around the platform. Fulmars will stay near the platform, but the Gannets are always just passing by. I tend to do my main count in the early morning before my shift starts. Typically, I will count two or three Gannets in the time it takes to do a lap of the platform, but they are always heading past, and are part of a constant stream throughout the day. Today, I counted eight during my official count, but having been out and about a fair bit today, I would say we have been passed by dozens, if not hundreds. Always a thrill when a Gannet comes close in and passes you at close quarters, or even dives into the water below.

Mystery Dark Bird.

Nightshift worker has reported seeing a dark bird sitting on the water at distance in the early hours of both today and yesterday. He described it as dark, maybe even black, and a bit smaller than the GBBGs that are about. Initially he thought Bonxie, a bird that he is very familiar with as a resident of the Isle of Lewis, however, he could see no white flashes and the bird flew very differently.

Only thing I can think of is Common Scoter, but this looks like one that got away for a firm ID.

Large whale spotted this morning by another worker. No ID made though.

What about Sooty Shearwater as a possibility, Paul?

It sounds a better option than my Scoter guess. I spoke to the observer again this morning. He was certain it was not a duck of any type. He emphasised it was very black looking, and that when it flew, it was skimming over the waves.

I guess almost anything new may be a point of interest for conversation on a North Sea platform, but it does sound as if your known interest is motivating some of your colleagues to keep their eyes open, and perhaps that may grow in some of them... good show!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back