• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking ahead...... (1 Viewer)

Ingle1970

England
hello forum , Of all binoculars you are still able to buy today , which are going to be tomorrows classics ? , and ultimately the most desirable to own ? .

The Nikon LX line. The Nikon Superiors. The Swarovski SLCs. The big Fujinon porros. I suppose there will be a re-appreciaition for the Leica Trinovid BA binoculars, close-focusing issue notwithstanding. (I wish I still had mine.)

Last edited:
Nikon 8x32 SE
Leica 8x20, 10x25, 8x32 Ultravid; Leica 8x32 Ultra/Trinovid BN
Swarovski 8x32, 8.5x42 EL; 7x42, 10x50 SLC
Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio
--AP

Greetings!

The Leica 7x42 Trinovid. I believe this is THE most underrated binocular out there, and it's not being produced any more.
Oh... and the Nikon SE line as well.

Best wishes,
Bawko

hello forum , Of all binoculars you are still able to buy today , which are going to be tomorrows classics ? , and ultimately the most desirable to own ? .
The Nikon 8X32 SE. This is an exceptionally well-built, classically designed porro prism binocular that never ceases to amaze me. My wife also uses an SE and neither of us has found a better view.

John

Throw in the 10 x 42 SE also. Arguably the sharpest binocular of them all. In a 1999 article on Binoculars in "Sky and Telescope" magazine they were the sharpest of all the binoculars tested in the article.
Bob

We were talking about tomorrow's classics I believe. The SE's are Porro Prisms and were tested against other top of the line Porro's used used primarily for astronomy, like Fujinon's et al. Maybe someday the Zeiss FL's will be regarded as "Classics" like their old ClassicS (esp. the 7 x 42's) are now regarded but they will have to undergo competion from among their peers if they are to gain that august status.
Cordially,
Bob

Funny, I have a pair of EL 8x32´s that are my standard bins of choice now. A previous post mentioned them as a future classic, but I´ve also read opinions that denounce them as a piece of overpriced junk that have a lousy "sweet spot" (whatever that is). Is this the case with all bins, I mean, is personal preference the ultimate arbiter? I´m not concerned, happy with my bins, but just wondered if there are any Universals out there among the serious optics experts (of whom I´m definitely not one, don´t understand the technical stuff)?

Oh, who knows what we really mean by tomorrows classics. I, for example, believe in the concept of the "instant classic" of which the Leica 8x20 BC in its leather clamshell case is a good example. I mean, the little thing is PERFECT regardless of whatever else comes along--it is tiny yet fits my large hands for holding and focusing perfectly (when unfolded asymetrically as described elsewhere), it is beautifully and solidly constructed, and its optics are superb by any standard.
--AP

I think there are a couple of obvious choices to becomes classic bins in the years ahead:

First choice for me would be Leica 8x32 Trinovids - stunning optics, great handling and it seems they are about to stop production of them.

Another would be the Nikon SE and EII ranges stunning optics and a pleasure to use, amazes me how many peopel are put off them by the lack of waterproofing. I recently got a pair of 8x30 Es, stunning FOV they're already classics the EIIs and SEs can only go the same way.

I think over the years the Swarovski ELs will become classics, they were a bit of a revolution when they came onto the market and have been improved since. For me the 8x32 is the best of the bunch, wide FOV, good close focus nice bright, sharp image... if I had a spare £840!

Lastly the Leica 8x20 Ultravids - I couldn't get on with compact roofs until I tried a pair of these. How they've managed to make a compact that is so bright, sharp and easy to use if beyond me.

...Of all binoculars you are still able to buy today , which are going to be tomorrows classics ?

If literally today...hmmm, assuming that means available for purchase as new, today's date:

My picks:

Nikon 8x32 SE
Bushnell Custom Compact 8x26
Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED

Nikon 12x50 SE (among astro-folks)

Leica 8*32s. In a shop I compared my 8*32BAs with an 8*42 Ultravid and did not see too much of a difference. On a later occasion I had a chance to look through an 8*32 Ultravid which were superior to my BAs. The 8*32s seem to be one of Leica's best models.

Japanese binoculars just like Japanese cars will never become classics and will never increase in value. What Japanese car has increased in value? None. They are all German, American, and Italian. What Japanese binoculars are worth today more than you paid for them? None.
The most collectible and most likely to become classic binoculars will come from Leica and Zeiss. Look at how much the old Leitz binoculars fetch on E-bay. Especially the collectible ones. Have you seen an old Nikon SE sell for more than the original cost. No.
The most likely candidate to become classics right now are the discontinued Leica binoculars like the Trinovids. Especially the 7x42 BN. If you are smart you will snap these up while you still can.

Dennis

Japanese binoculars just like Japanese cars will never become classics and will never increase in value. What Japanese car has increased in value? None. They are all German, American, and Italian. What Japanese binoculars are worth today more than you paid for them? None.
The most collectible and most likely to become classic binoculars will come from Leica and Zeiss. Look at how much the old Leitz binoculars fetch on E-bay. Especially the collectible ones. Have you seen an old Nikon SE sell for more than the original cost. No.
The most likely candidate to become classics right now are the discontinued Leica binoculars like the Trinovids. Especially the 7x42 BN. If you are smart you will snap these up while you still can.

Dennis

I am not sure i agree with the car analogy. Price a like-new or restored 240Z and see how much a Japanese car can appreciate. The difference is that until recently the Japanese companies have not marketed high-end cars to the world as did the European carmakers. As they do so now, perhaps their better cars will appreciate in at least as great a number as some of the European makers (and few except for notable collector cars from MB and Ferrari have actually appreciated.)

The camera market is a better analogy. You should see the prices on classic Nikon rangefinders of the 1950s to get an idea just how well Japanese optics can appreciate. The replicas were priced at $5000 and were sold almost entirely in Japan to avid collectors.

I think the premium Nikon and similar-quality optics from Japan will do at least as well as the European brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back