• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My trip to Norfolk 21/12/2014 - 27/12/2014 (1 Viewer)

Always good to see a Norfolk report,TFS.
Happy New Year.
Mick

Thank you Mick for your kind comments :t:

Happy New Year to you and yours too :gh: B :)

Got more to write, but now feeling the festivities have put my mind into a state of slumber today LOL. :cat:

Tomorrow will be the next part of my report coming up ..... :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

happy new year kathy, nice detailed report with some good birds and photos well done !

Thank you Mark. It has been over 2 years since I have typed big ones on here so I will proceed with many more over 2015

Happy New Year 2015 to you too.

Kathy really enjoying this thread, I`m up there in a week or so, please where is Chosely Barn ?

John.

Hi John

This is a link telling you all about the Barns.

http://www.norfolkbirds.com/Sites.aspx?s=21

We use a Tom Tom to find places as it makes life a little more easier.

Hope this is of help :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Tuesday 23rd December 2014

Morning AM....at Wells-Next to the Sea – Wells Quay

We got up today, and had a leisurely full ‘ English’ breakfast. The place was quiet, people free, and it left a feeling of total relaxation that we both needed :gh::gh::gh:

The weather looked a little less windy, and grey looking so that raised our spirits a little for some more good birding for the day. The sun was up, and there was some grey pink colouration amongst the clouds in the sky.

Herring Gulls cascaded everywhere in the air outside the Globe Hotel. The local Herring Gulls let out their vocal squawk every so often to tell us how close we are to the sea.

I observed the large group of Jackdaws had formed into a large gregarious group, flying about the roadside close to our bedroom window. After not seeing many for a while, it was a breath of fresh air to us. They sat in two’s and three’s on a branch of a nearby tree. . We could hear the Jackdaws much of the time, we stayed in our room, and I enjoyed every moment of it. They remained in a sitting position for a long time pondering over things. Their calls to one another resounded everywhere in the area.

Our bedroom gave us a view of Butland Park outside, and a nice view to have from a birders way of thinking. It gave an opportunity for us to see birds all hours of the day. We saw all the well known garden birds such as Blackbirds, Robins, House Sparrows, Blue Tits,, Great Tits, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, Magpies, and Dunnock. They flourished in every nook, and cranny in the area. On the opposite side of the road, the garden has a low drystone wall, and overgrown bushes to add some interest to what bird species we could see.The low wall, and the attached garden was bird heaven with lots of insects hidden for them to consume at their leisure. It proved to be popular to large numbers of Tits and Sparrows. I counted six Blackbirds in one area scratting about in the undergrowth, turning leaves, sourcing out their food at the edge of the kerbs. o:)o:)o:)

After a half hour chill out, we collected all our optics together for some more birdwatching in the Wells area. We made our way to Bolts Road, and walked towards to Wells Quay. We took note of other B&B’s for future reference for us if we ever decided to come back to Wells in the near future.

The ampling orange coloured buildings showed their historical side as we made our way to the Quay. The narrowness of the roads to the Quay reflected the history of the place. :-O

1. Great black Backed Gull at the Quay
2. OH walking down Bolts Road
3. Buildings by Wells Quay on Bolts road
4. Mallard sitting on boardwalk
5. Herring Gull (Juv)

more to come...

Attachments

• 326.JPG
    326.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 304.JPG
    304.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 313.JPG
    313.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 323.JPG
    323.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 325.JPG
    325.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 24

Morning AM....at Wells-Next to the Sea – Wells Quay

The Quay looked interesting to us as it had a strong connection to boats, which we love ourselves. It was full of boats, leisure craft, and people moving about everywhere we looked in the area. There was a lot of bird life at East Fleet waterway on both sides feeding on the sandy shore.

A large group of Brent Geese honked to one another in the dry areas on higher land, behind the sandy level, feeding in the vegetation. An occasional flap of dark grey wings, and a re-assemble of the birds, and all was quiet once more. Curlew’s calls lit up the place from close to us, and afar at the same time. It was music to my ears. I never tire of hearing their haunting calls in any way at all. They are soothing to my mind, and soul anyday.

A short wooden slated pontoon extended from the Quay edge on the left over the water to give human access to the boats . I could see a large group of Mallard Ducks resting on the wooden boards. I knew that they were looking for a hand out from passersby ... meaning jammy dodgers no doubt!!

The tide was changing course now, and the water area was beginning to fill up once more. The Curlews, Redshank, Sanderlings, Little Grebe, and all the shore birds ate what they could while the tide line was low. They shuffled about in their busy body ways to keep themselves satisfied with their available foodstuffs.

The Brent Geese shuffled about once more to our right, then they formed an orderly queue. They walked past some boats that where sitting on the slipway at the quayside in front of us. Once in the water they where contented once more as a large group.

We walked to the East side of the Quay, and headed towards the Sailing club. The route narrowed, and we past by many fishery buildings, until we reached a broad,rich,red coloured path that is well known to walkers and birds alike. On this day, we decided against completing the walk to Stiffkey due to aches and pains. We decided to come back another time, and complete the walk.

Lots of little birds darted about in the air around our heads, as we walked along. Linnets, and Skylarks where everywhere in the green grassy patches around us. A distinctive two tone call came from a single Pied Wagtail filled the air with it’s calls. The bird chirruped non stop above our heads as we walked along the path to our delight.

We made our way back to The Globe Hotel once more, and prepared ourselves for another trip (recommended by our Bird Guide from Monday) to the Three Horseshoes Inn.

6. View of Wells Quay
7. Brent Geese
8. Redshank
9. Sign to Stiffkey
10. Brent Geese by boats walking about in slipway

more to come...

Attachments

• 341.JPG
    341.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 343.JPG
    343.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 373.JPG
    373.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 360.JPG
    360.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 367.JPG
    367.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 18
More photos about the Wells Quay

11. Skylark on boat?
12. Curlew
13. Black Headed Gull
14. Redshanks and boat
15. Herring Gull (Juv)?

Next Lunch at Three Horseshoes Inn, Norfolk and Cley Marshes..and further reports

to be continued...

Attachments

• 377.JPG
    377.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 436.JPG
    436.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 473.JPG
    473.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 15
  • 455.JPG
    455.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 469.JPG
    469.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back to normaiilty at home, and back to finishing my report on this thread this week - tomorrow - :king:

Regards
Kathy
x

Tuesday 23/12/2014 PM

We set off to the Three Horseshoes Inn, Warham, Norfolk. We arrived, and we where not disappointed at all. The pub had an old world charm about it. We found it relaxing to be in. The Norfolk Steak Ale Pies went down a treat, portions large, and very tasty. It was a delicious combination of home cooking , a nice pub, great atmosphere, and friendly people. My OH said that the pie where out of this world, and the best he ever tasted!!! (he does not take his pies lightly LOL)

After our meal, we set of to Cley Reserve to see what was there.

As we drove along the A149 road, I noticed a Barn Owl in flight (as the passenger LOL) in the nearby field. The white flash of the bird showed up really well, as it quartered the fields. It was a great find for us, unmistakable to overlook due to the whiteness of the feathers. I felt sad because of the lack of car parking so we could stop for a better look at the Barn Owl, and to take a photo of the bird.

For us to see a Barn Owl in broad daylight made our day, and added another bird to our list for this trip.

Lots of Pheasants popped up everywhere in their usual quest to be noticed in the fields, and grasslands next to the main road. I have to say that there is nothing like a Pheasant to cause mayhem on the roads. A flock of Lapwings flew up into the air in a close fluster, then landed in the lower vegetation in a field to our left. The sky was black with circular flapping wings, and calling birds.

We continued on our car journey though Stiffkey, past the Red Lion Pub, (the area of river known for Kingfishers - but no parking!!!), and we headed on our way to Cley for an afternoon’s birding.

We arrived at Cley. Once out in the carpark, a couple of Pied Wagtail's made their presence known by bouncing up and down close to where we parked the car. They continually chirrupied to one another as if they were trying to get our attention.

First thing we did was go into the visitors centre. The weather was still unpredictable, grayish, rain threatened, along with an odd sunny patch here and there. The wind had dropped so that was good opportunity for us to enjoy some more birding.

After a cup of tea and sit down, we made our way to the three hides. As we walked through the high reeds, we noticed a Crow sitting on a post eating something. We did not get close enough to see what it was due to the fact we disturbed the Crow in its tracks, and it did not want us near at all

The Birding Hotel building on the shoreline looked buoyant in the distance. I am glad it did not float away on a crest of a wave last year due to the bad winds.

1. Three hides
2. OH looking at Crow
3. Crow watching us
4. Birders hotel building in distance
5. More views of the hides

more to come...

Attachments

• 495.JPG
    495.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 498.JPG
    498.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 23
  • 499.JPG
    499.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 502.JPG
    502.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 505.JPG
    505.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Tuesday 23/12/2014 PM

We went to the hide on the immediate left. We sat down to observe the birds on the Marsh. OH had his scope so set that up to get the best views of the birds.

Birds that we saw from the hide window: Wigeon, Teal, Lapwing (x200), Shelduck, Mallard, Little Egret, Pintails (showing well), Pochard, Goodwits (Black-Tailed), Gadwall, , and many others.

Magpie’s flews back, and forth in front of the hide making their distinctive call to one another.

In the distance we noted one of the two Marsh Harriers patrolling the area flying back and forth over and over again. The area in from hides has a line of low bushes, and one of the Marsh Harriers perched for a long time in one of the bushes. The bird looked top heavy, and the bush tiny in comparison to one another.

A Little Egret showed well outside the hide window, and then it disappeared into the undergrowth once more.

After a good couple of hours sitting down, we made our way to the furthest right hand side hide. We did not stay in there too long, and we decided headway for the visitor centre once more. The light was fading, and we wanted to get back to our hotel to do a little more chilling out as you do.

As the sun dropped the reeds heads looked like they where glowing in the fading light.
Lots of yellow electric bulbs. Photo’s taken with my camera aimed towards the sun worked a treat, and produced some interesting shots.

A Dunnock called from a nearby tree, and it caught my attention. It perched on the branch while we took photographs of the little bird

We arrived back at the Cley Visitors Centre once more and picked up the membership pack to become members of NWT (made sense due to the amount of visits we make in the area). With a cup of coffee in hand, we looked out over the marshes, the windfarms could be easily made out in the distance.

The day was closing, as we made our way back to the Globe Hotel. Later on we went to the The Golden Fleece Restaurant at Wells-next to the Sea for our evening meal of fish and chips – delicious, and we will be back for more!!!

6. Little Egret
7. Marsh Harrier outside Hides
8. Windfarms in distance
9. Signposts

more to come...

Attachments

• 509.JPG
    509.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 516.JPG
    516.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 535.JPG
    535.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 585.JPG
    585.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Some more photos...

10. Little Egret
11. Fields of gold
12. Dunnock

Next ....Wednesday 24/12/2014 PM

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 594.JPG
    594.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 19
  • 596.JPG
    596.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 609.JPG
    609.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Still got some more to add but due to a 'continual' hand/finger infection over the years (started at Xmas time) it has slowed me down a bit

Will complete asap.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Still got some more to add but due to a 'continual' hand/finger infection over the years (started at Xmas time) it has slowed me down a bit

Will complete asap.

Regards
Kathy
x

Some more 'bad' news. The infection that thought I had turned out to be a 'huge' blood clot in my right arm so there was no blood flowing up to the top my right hand. One of my fingers ends turned black. I was whisked to hospital and operated on straight away. The reason for the blood clot was that I have an extra rib bone growing in my neck, and it cut off my blood supply to my arm

Been to hospital for the last 3 days. Now I am on tablets to correct the blood flow, then I will be operated once once more for the unwanted rib bone in my neck

Life just gives out frights we never expect and I am glad I have got through the worst - I think so far

So back to that 'report' that needs to be completed. A relieved and an upset Kathy all at once :eek!::eek!: :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back