• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Last Seabird Summer (1 Viewer)

I have to say the programme is fantastic, but sadly, the Puffin hunting is so wrong, and it goes on to this day (along with the Gannets)

The main part of the programme seems to reply in eating Puffins, and Gannets in Ness, and the Gannets are part of the island diet. ahhhh please, please. ....

I could not watch it myself as it was too awful! :-C:-C:-C

There is a second part, and I would be interesting in seeing what it is about.
Please let it be more cheerful than the first part.

Last edited:
It shows all the challenges these birds face. I don't know if the hunting of seabirds is or has been sustainable, but other changes like declining sandeel populations and warming seas are much more immediate threats.

It wasn't pleasant watching the puffins being caught and killed.

I think it was good that the programme didn't shy away from showing some of the stuff that it did. No rose-tinted glasses for this programme, even if it made for some difficult viewing at times.

Like others, I found the puffin killing upsetting to watch. Also, given the programme time was 60 minutes, there did seem to be an inordinate amount of time in minutes (ca. 11 minutes given to this part of the programme) which didn't deal with how many birds could be caught daily, and how and if, it is closely regulated. The only reference made was 45 days to be allowed to catch them.

The fact they were ultimately placed on a BBQ cooker and smothered in a BBQ sauce of another country's origin - beggers the question as to the cultural significance and importance to continue with the catching of puffins in Iceland.

The amount of waste per bird to obtain what the catcher/recipient eats was wanton to say the least.

It shows all the challenges these birds face. I don't know if the hunting of seabirds is or has been sustainable, but other changes like declining sandeel populations and warming seas are much more immediate threats.

It wasn't pleasant watching the puffins being caught and killed.

I think it was good that the programme didn't shy away from showing some of the stuff that it did. No rose-tinted glasses for this programme, even if it made for some difficult viewing at times.

Agreed. Best to tell it the way it is, warts and all.

Let's hope the rat eradication programme on the Shiants is a success.

Alan

At first I was really getting into it, but the sight of that bloke breaking a Puffin's neck finished it for me, and it was unnecessary to draw that segment out. I was physically disturbed, stopped watching immediately.

Agreed. Best to tell it the way it is, warts and all.

Let's hope the rat eradication programme on the Shiants is a success.

Alan

As Puffins breed on all suitable British islands, their survival or failure is dependent on their food supply (not subject to rat influence) and not a land predator that is itself subject to predation, and the Black Rat is no less entitled to be in Britain than Fallow Deer, Rabbit, Brown Hare or Little Owl, lets not.

John

Did anyone watch the second part of this wildlife documentary series last night. After been upset by the first part, I tried to see what this second episode was like. At least they didn't show the shocking scenes of killing puffins again, which was a relief.
Ian.

I have also watched the first part of this series, and although it seems shocking to watch Puffins being killed and eaten, they are at least being taken for food....unlike the so called sport of shooting migratory birds over Malta.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back