• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menetries's or Sardinian?? (1 Viewer)

Clibanarii

Hi All,

I can't figure out if this is Menetries's or Sardinian Warbler.
It is out of range for Sardinian but misses the pink on the chest.
Please help.
Taken in Tehran, Iran in April.

Attachments

• Ménétries's warbler (1).JPG
    Ménétries's warbler (1).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Ménétries's warbler (2).JPG
    Ménétries's warbler (2).JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Ménétries's warbler (3).JPG
    Ménétries's warbler (3).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Menetries's, presumably a 1st-summer male?

There is racial variation; nominate mystacea, whose range extends to the W shore of the Caspian Sea, shows the pinkest underparts. Think this should be turcmenica on range which is less pink.

Grahame

To correct what I said earlier, probably within the breeding range of nominate (the range includes northern Iran) but I see no reason why turcmenica doesn't pass through on en route to its breeding grounds which include NE Iran. An overshooting rubescens, which would better explain the absence of pink on the breast, seems more unlikely.

Perhaps any pink tones, if reduced, are 'burnt out'?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back