• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of the year? (1 Viewer)

Hard to choose just one so have gone for three. In second and third place are Golden and Satin Bowerbirds they are such stunning birds to watch. In first place sitting in the garden watching the antics of our Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, they are just like naughty children!

Attachments

• young cocky at alans (7).JPG
    young cocky at alans (7).JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Can't choose one mine would be seeing my first Hummingbird, Wild Flamingo, Brown Pelican,Blue Jay & American Robin.

Ecuadorian Hillstar was stunning and my first wild Penguins on the Galapagos Islands (where there were plenty of other contenders) but swimming with Galapagos sharks trumped the birds this year!

Sri Lanka Spurfowl.
Was one of the magic birding moments when a normally skulking male suddenly appears, passes you in only a couple of meters and then disappears into the forest again.

Perhaps more prosaic than some of the rarities mentionned above, but my shortlist would include:

-Flock of Black Tailed Godwit in perfect light (stunningly beautiful),
-Common Cranes at Slimbridge (fingers crossed for successful breeding in 2014),
-Rutland Osprey ...

...but my "winner",
-Spotted Flycatcher, successfully nesting within 'scope range of my back door.:t:

Perhaps more prosaic than some of the rarities mentionned above, but my shortlist would include:

-Flock of Black Tailed Godwit in perfect light (stunningly beautiful),
-Common Cranes at Slimbridge (fingers crossed for successful breeding in 2014),
-Rutland Osprey ...

...but my "winner",
-Spotted Flycatcher, successfully nesting within 'scope range of my back door.:t:

I entirely agree about the spectacles described but "fingers crossed etc"....!

I spent half an afternoon watching a British wild-bred juvenile Crane with its parents in East Norfolk this November, and it wasn't by any means the only British wild Crane success this year. Slimbridge... pah!

John

Wow. Where to start...

Siberian crane, bare-faced bulbul, Cambodian tailorbird, giant ibis, Temminck's tragopan, wallcreeper, Tibetan snowcock, spot-breasted parrotbill...hard to pick just one. And I'm heading to Peru tomorrow, so I might have some potoos or a curassow to add to that list before year's end.

Closer to home, probably the black-chinned hummingbird coming to a feeder in southern PA was the best state bird.

Being fairly new to this game most of my spots this year are firsts for me. However the best and rarest bird in my area was a Mistle Thrush in my garden in January. :t: :t:

In France my favourite and a first was the Black Redstart Family see my Avatar.

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush.jpg
    Mistle Thrush.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Spring: Self found Common rosefinch - Gib point. Summer: Resplendant Quetzal in Panama. Autumn: Self found Pallas's warbler -Burnham Overy. Winter: European Starling on the barn opposite our farm, stunning birds.
The best year for birding I have ever had, I've seen about 700 species, just over half the species I've ever seen in total.

Caught up with Secretary birds this year having dipped previously. Found them myself ( we were on a safari ) and later saw them flying too . Field guides don't really prepare you for the real thing !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back