• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Ouzels at Sainsbury's Hedge End Hampshire (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

There is a report on Hampshire Go Birding of a pair of Ring Ouzels in the car park at Sainsbury's in Hedge End, about 1.5 miles from where I live. Couple of questions - is it possible this late in the year that there could be ROs present and does anyone have any more info / seen them - would be a fantastic bird to see 'up the road' from home.

Thanks

Rob

One overwintered in Petersfield (I think - central Hampshire, anyway) probably 20 years ago now, mostly seen in a cotoneaster bush in the back garden of a suburban house. I have a couple of wet film photos of it somewhere.

We know supermarkets are Waxwing magnets, I see no reason why late Ring Ouzels wouldn't follow the same rules.

John

The latest Atlas shows quite a few "winter" records, including some in Hants. I don't know how many of these were in November (and hence likely to be just late migrants). Your county bird report should tell you.

In a letter to Pennant, Gilbert White wrote that at Christmas 1770 Ring Ousels were seen in the Forest of Bere, Hants so there is a precedent in the county! However, my money would be on a misidentified 'pied' Blackbird.

In a letter to Pennant, Gilbert White wrote that at Christmas 1770 Ring Ousels were seen in the Forest of Bere, Hants so there is a precedent in the county! However, my money would be on a misidentified 'pied' Blackbird.

I would say the same except that apparently there are two, and that stretches the credulity a bit.

BTW: Ouzel or Ousel? To me the latter smacks of flat muddy wetlands, not really Ring Ouzel habitat.

John

Once saw a Ring Ouzel in the centre of Nottingham City in a tiny garden in the middle of winter so I'd not dismiss anything out of hand! 2 would be more unusual though I suppose!

atb

Once saw a Ring Ouzel in the centre of Nottingham City in a tiny garden in the middle of winter so I'd not dismiss anything out of hand! 2 would be more unusual though I suppose!

atb

Were you twitching Cedar Waxwing at the time by any chance? There were directions for one being shared when I was there, but by the time we'd connected with the headline bird(s*) we hadn't time for padders.

James

* did the nearby Redhead on the same day.

Were you twitching Cedar Waxwing at the time by any chance? There were directions for one being shared when I was there, but by the time we'd connected with the headline bird(s*) we hadn't time for padders.

James

* did the nearby Redhead on the same day.

Yes I think so! It took me at lest 4 gos to connect with the Cedar so I had to look at something:-O:-O Good job It was near to home! Was getting desperate on visit 4! I had my driving test in between these visits and put the fact that I past first time down to the fact I was so worried about the Waxwing that I never thought about the test:eek!:
Not a bad duo when you think about it, Cedar Waxwing and Redhead!

atb

Steph'

Given that, with no disrespect to the original reporter, such mis-identifications are still made despite the huge advance in knowledge and the availability of well illustrated guides, I fear the 1770 record I mentioned earlier must be rather suspect.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back