• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of the year? (1 Viewer)

Sandhill Cranes (rare for my area) were amazing to behold.
Also, finally seeing American Coots was so cool. I've been wanting
to see a Coot for a long time. They are so interesting.

Like Richard Klim, I haven't really birded much this year; spent 6 months caring for my dad who recently passed away. The rest of the time, we sailed from Panama to Hualtulco, Mexico and I've picked up 54 lifers total. I guess the Scarlet Macaws in Costa Rica would be my birds of the year. Gorgeous things! The Ivory-billed Woodcreeper I got today wasn't bad though.

Steady on with that Tequila Sue, you're hallucinating!
Only one lifer for me in 2013 (so far!), Spanish Imperial Eagle, but my bird of the year has to be a Spotted Crake I found near Geneva in spring, we shared a few minutes quietly, a real privilege.

Richard

Attachments

• m ponctuée sionnet.jpg
    m ponctuée sionnet.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 44
Steady on with that Tequila Sue, you're hallucinating!
Richard
Cuba Lubre (RUM) is my current drink of choice. I admit to having a few too many at times, but hallucinating? Never! Well, hardly ever. Scarlet Macaws fly free in Golfito, CR.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, both of my birds of the year were also two of my worst photos ever.
1. Scarlet Macaw
2. Ivory-billed Woodcreeper Note: For those who might hallucinate while reading--That's WoodCREEPER, not Woodpecker ;)

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 32
  • ibw.jpg
    ibw.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
2. Ivory-billed Woodcreeper Note: For those who might hallucinate while reading--That's WoodCREEPER, not Woodpecker ;)

Touché! You got me there, that's auto-suggestion (or not enough coffee this morning) for you, my eyes told me woodPECKER, hence my scandalous suggestion that the alcohol was making you see an extinct (or is it!) species.
Humble apologies etc etc|:$|

Touché! You got me there, that's auto-suggestion (or not enough coffee this morning) for you, my eyes told me woodPECKER, hence my scandalous suggestion that the alcohol was making you see an extinct (or is it!) species.
Humble apologies etc etc|:$|
Certainly no apologies needed, it was funny.
Sue

Too many to choose from but top three Golden Bowerbird, Crested Shrike Tit and a very tame Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that visits our garden regularly

Like other people here, there wasn't a whole lot of birding for me this year. Stress on finishing my PhD and car problems have kept me from doing much. I did finally connect with Black Rosy-finch in February, as there was a really good mixed flock of Rosy-finchs that hung out just outside of town.

Spent the summer in Australia and New Zealand, although for time reasons didn't do as much birding as I wanted. Still got to do some birding on some weekends, with overall highlights from that trip including Superb Lyrebird, Tawny Frogmouth, Wrybill, Takahe, and North Island Kokako.

Seems to have been a quite year all round. No long trip this year for me so, apart from Japanese Night-Heron on Okinawa and Scaly-sided Merganser on Honshu, the Dutch Hawk Owl had to be my most memorable bird. A sneaky day out from a family holiday in Turkey turned up Red-fronted Serin, among other stuff, which wasn't bad either.

Chris

p.s. Congratulations on your PhD Morgan. Got mine this year, as well. :t:

C

For a combination of factors, not least for the classic journey up the Dalton Highway to the breeding grounds, Spectacled Eider had to be my top bird of 2013. Mind you, the year isn't over yet....

Attachments

• Spectacled & King Eiders us 1.jpg
    Spectacled & King Eiders us 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 47
My "year bird" would have to be the two Loggerhead Shrikes who nested and raised four chicks nearby. An exciting species to have, who haven't been found to nest here for nearly half a century! They're also the only ones recorded on eBird in the Eastern Upper Peninsula. Of course, I never would have found them had I not gone back down that road to photograph the many Bluebirds, Savannah Sparrows, and Barn Swallows. However, I wasn't able to photograph the shrikes in a natural setting; they much rather prefered the chain-lin fence. Here's a couple of my favorite pictures:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 23
  • use.JPG
    use.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
Rufous-necked Wood Rail, saw when he was visiting New Mexico this summer.

Abyss. Ground Hornbill. Though every other thing in Ethiopia (last January) was awesome. Heading back to Nepal in 6 days...........

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back