• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

After a weekend away, quite a boost to the lists today, the weekend's warm sun bringing in the next batch of migrants.

Labanoras.

A nice vocal Wryneck to greet my return, starting off near the feeders before settling on some isolated birches out in the meadows to call non-stop all morning. Also two White-backed Woodpeckers trying to outdrum each other, a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker rather less noisy. Newly arrived birds included two pairs of Goldeneye around their nestboxes, Pied Flycatcher and Willow Warbler, plus a carbon copy of last year's first sighting, a Hobby perched in dead trees above the swamp zone. A raptor watch hoping to find Lesser Spotted Eagle or Osprey failed to locate either, but added a Snipe to the year list and, best of the lot, ten fly-over Bewick's Swans, another new species for my land. Twenty minutes later, two Mute Swans also flew over, plus the resident Cranes.

71. Bewick's Swan
72. Goldeneye
73. Hobby
74. Common Snipe
75. Wryneck
76. Pied Flycatcher
77. Willow Warbler

Vilnius.

Finch mix, including Hawfinches, still busy at the window feeders, but only new addition in a very brief look, a Pied Flycatcher at one of the nestboxes.

38. Pied Flycatcher

Vilnius.[/B]

Finch mix, including Hawfinches, still busy at the window feeders, but only new addition in a very brief look, a Pied Flycatcher at one of the nestboxes.

38. Pied Flycatcher

Jos Hi...presumably Hawfinches and amongst other things Wryneck are not to difficult to find in Vilnius?

cheers

Jos Hi...presumably Hawfinches and amongst other things Wryneck are not to difficult to find in Vilnius?

cheers

I would not describe either as exactly crawling all over the shop, but both are reasonably widespread. Hawfinch is generally fairly easy to find, particularly in March and April with the return of migrants, would not promise quite as close as the photographs earlier in this thread might suggest however. Wryneck is less common, but still not rare - if you know the call, tracking down birds in late April and early May is not too much a challenge. I will probably get a pair in one of my nestboxes.

Last edited:
I would not describe either as exactly crawling all over the shop, but both are reasonably widespread. Hawfinch is generally fairly easy to find, particularly in March and April with the return of migrants, would not promise quite as close as the photographs earlier in this thread might suggest however. Wryneck is less common, but still not rare - if you know the call, tracking down birds in late April and early May is not too much a challenge. I will probably get a pair in one of my nestboxes.

I've only heard Wryneck once (never forgotten!),...during October on Menorca (30 yrs.ago)...was turning the hire car around after a wrong turn..heard a loud ''Hobby'' like call..looked up..and there sitting with it's back to me with head rotated c120 degrees..Jynx torquilla. :t:

94. Bullfinch. Found (and correctly identified) by Daniel, aged 4! It was on a seed tray (never had one on a feeder before) and to our shame we assumed he had misidentified it. However it came back and he was vindicated!

Rob

Vilnius.

Pleasantly warm and sunny, good butterfly showing - Camberwell Beauty, Holly Blue and Orange Tip through the garden, along with Brimstone. Also quite a few new migrants, Common Redstart singing in trees and rooftop the nicest. Several Marsh Harrier fly-bys too.

39. Common Tern
40. Common Redstart
41. Lesser Whitethroat
42. Blackcap
43. Wood Warbler
44. Chiffchaff
45. Hooded Crow

Been stupidly busy over the last few weeks and now making last minute preps for my trip to Taiwan. Work went from 'hectic' to 'ridiculously hectic', so next to no birding has been done and I'm going to be busy with my nephew when I get back. Anything new I record over the next month will be pure luck tbh.

As I said before however, I was never going to get a rush of migrants like others. I got a few things (Black-faced Monarch, Oriental Cuckoo, Dollarbird) but missed Satin Flycatcher, though I may still get Leaden if they come to the trees outside my window over the winter as they did last year.

Also as I said before, I still think 100 species is about the most I could wish/hope for.

Good luck to everyone during my hiaitus!:t:

I added a 2012 Yard Bird today.

32. House Wren (This was also a new 2012 year bird for Missouri, # 162 for the year.)

and just had three more ....

33. Swainson's Thrush
34. White-crowned Sparrow
35. Gray-cheeked Thrush

Daniel's a bit of a star. Both boys are showing interest, but we reckon Daniel has the makings of a very good birder.
Meanwhile this morning I made another addition whilst putting the bins out.
95. willow warbler

Rob

Male Kestrel just flown over house in St Dogmaels 63+2 from Bassaleg = 65.

Been looking for Swift today, none so far. Went into Cardigan for the Barley Festival. Saw Welsh Cobs for the first time what fantastic horses. Magnificent.

This is a beautiful part of the world and yet I've never visited before my friend bought the house despite living less than two hours away.

Last edited:
Vilnius.

Stonking hot, 28 C. Wonderful, was still snow three weeks ago! All additions were sky jobs, the Hobby a pleasing bonus initially spotted by a sunbather.

46. Grey Heron
47. Hobby
48. House Martin

Also Red Squirrel in pines at the back of the garden.

Labanoras.

Super day, temperatures nearing 30 C and birds galore - Marsh Harriers zigzagging, my third Black Stork of the month over my land, my third Camberwell Beauty of the week and a continuing arrival of migrants - plenty of Whinchats, one Cuckoo, a total of three singing Wrynecks now and Golden Oriole.

Twenty minutes of work a few years back has played real dividends - my 'shrike pile' today had singing Whinchat, Wryneck and Common Whitethroat all centimetres apart.

Yellow Wagtail was welcome - some years get a breeding pair, some years no records.

78. Cuckoo
79. Swallow
80. House Martin
81. Yellow Wagtail
82. Whinchat
83. Common Whitethroat
84. Blackcap
85. Golden Oriole

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back