• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sample variation (1 Viewer)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
I've been thinking about sample variation - of both binoculars and binocular users.

What prompted me was thinking about my Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 bins - a model that is sometimes liked, quite often criticised and seldom really loved around here. Yet I really, really, like mine. Love 'em? Maybe not. But it's close, since they seem to suit me so well. And it is quite OK that my opinion differs from the collective view - I don't think "I'm right and they're wrong". Not at all.

It is quite possible that my Terras are particularly good sample. But even that doesn't seem to account for my assessment being at such a variance from the collective view: that doesn't seem so for other binoculars. While variation in preference and opinion is to be expected, what I see seems to be reasonably close to that reported by others for models of binocular I do have (Nikon 8x30 EII, Sightron SII Blue Sky, Pentax 6.5x21 Papillo II and so on).

My guess is that somehow the quirks, faults and foibles of these particular binoculars happen to match my foibles, faults and quirks especially well. There are a great many things I like about them (especially bold colours and flare resistance), their faults (loss of sharpness and CA in the outer zones, among others) don't bother me much and I generally just like looking through them. Are they the best 8x42s around? Surely not. But they suit me particularly well.

I don't know for sure if that applies to all Terra ED 8x42s, or just my sample, but I have briefly tried others (in store only) and haven't found noticeable differences from my personal copy.

Would I recommend them to others? Of course, but with big caveats that they might not suit someone else nearly as well as they suit me. I know that I'm still looking for an 8x32 that suits me as well, and have looked through (and own) some very nice 8x30-something binoculars. But I still haven't found "the one". If I do, it will be "the one" for me - but not necessarily anybody else. In fact, I’m pretty sure that sample variation between binocular users is a lot larger than variations between samples of a particular binocular model.

...Mike

P.S. I have the 8x30 Nikon EII, which I dearly love for its views, but which doesn't match what I mostly want 8x30ish bins for, since it isn't easy to pack away in a compact space, nor does it seem quite robust enough. I probably have found an 8x32 that suits me really well, but I don't think I want to have. Because those Victory 8x32 FLs aren't cheap. Tempting, but not cheap.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about sample variation - of both binoculars and binocular users.

What prompted me was thinking about my Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 bins - a model that is sometimes liked, quite often criticised and seldom really loved around here. Yet I really, really, like mine. Love 'em? Maybe not. But it's close, since they seem to suit me so well. And it is quite OK that my opinion differs from the collective view - I don't think "I'm right and they're wrong". Not at all.

It is quite possible that my Terras are particularly good sample. But even that doesn't seem to account for my assessment being at such a variance from the collective view: that doesn't seem so for other binoculars. While variation in preference and opinion is to be expected, what I see seems to be reasonably close to that reported by others for models of binocular I do have (Nikon 8x30 EII, Sightron SII Blue Sky, Pentax 6.5x21 Papillo II and so on).

My guess is that somehow the quirks, faults and foibles of these particular binoculars happen to match my foibles, faults and quirks especially well. There are a great many things I like about them (especially bold colours and flare resistance), their faults (loss of sharpness and CA in the outer zones, among others) don't bother me much and I generally just like looking through them. Are they the best 8x42s around? Surely not. But they suit me particularly well.

I don't know for sure if that applies to all Terra ED 8x42s, or just my sample, but I have briefly tried others (in store only) and haven't found noticeable differences from my personal copy.

Would I recommend them to others? Of course, but with big caveats that they might not suit someone else nearly as well as they suit me. I know that I'm still looking for an 8x32 that suits me as well, and have looked through (and own) some very nice 8x30-something binoculars. But I still haven't found "the one". If I do, it will be "the one" for me - but not necessarily anybody else. In fact, I’m pretty sure that sample variation between binocular users is a lot larger than variations between samples of a particular binocular model.

...Mike

Well stated, Mike! :t:

Ted

I don't really want to argue about the Terras, here. Some (including me) like 'em, others don't:
especially since the 32 and 42mm Terra's were such a disappointment
optical quality that particularly disappointed
a very ordinary binocular with erratic QC
I'd call the optics [...] rather mediocre myself
None of that is really what I wanted to talk about, which is that some binoculars suit individual people more than others in a way, I think, that goes beyond preferences for one feature or characteristic vs another. Rather, it seems that on occasion there's a "match-up" between the binocular and the person that somehow seems especially suitable, even beyond on-paper features, specifications and measurements. The reverse is probably true, too.

...Mike

Mike,

I think what you are referring to here is a bit of a combination of personal preferences and "human-bin interface". Somebody (Eitan? SteveC?) coined that term on the forum here a couple of years ago. Basically it boils down to how the binocular fits our face in addition to things like focus placement, contouring of the binocular for your hands, etc... Basically any place that your body comes in contact with the binocular.

The other side of the coin is personal preferences. Some people just prefer, for example, a warm color bias, or a cooler one, etc...

Binocular sample variation is easy to deal with if you find a store with 6 examples.

Try them all and buy the best.

Often the best one is the demonstration sample, and I have bought this rather than a boxed new one.
It helps in winter at 5 pm if they allow you to look at the Moon or Jupiter. It is easy to pick the best one after quick star testing.

Mike

Well said.
Doesn't matter how exclusive your super, designer Italian shoes in the very best Italian leathers are if they don't fit your feet. Doesn't matter if your Ferrari is the fastest lady-attracting thing since the last fastest, lady-attracting thing, if you need a chiropractor after each trip over 15 miles.
Some bins slip into your hands and over your eyes and you know that they are for you, even if they show a bit of CA towards the edge, have a sweet spot 10% smaller than you would like etc etc: with some bins you just know.

Years ago I had quite a stable of guitars including some I had lusted after for years: Fender USA Strat, Martin HD-28 Dreadnought, Gibson ES335. Then came a period out of work and I needed to sell some instruments. Not all, just some. Well, knock me down with a feather if I didn't sell all of the above but couldn't bear to part with a Fender Telecaster and a little Martin 00016C.

So, it isn't necessarily the top of the range models that grab your heart and won't let go, and its by no means necessarily an instrument that is 'perfect' (what ever that is).

Lee

I agree with Binastro. There is plenty of real, not just subjective, sample variation in binoculars. Sometimes it's enough to make one unit obviously more pleasant to view through than another. Unfortunately, determining what defects are present and to what degree requires more involved testing than just looking through the binoculars.

Testing six usually took me about 30 minutes. Not only visual but operational also.

In a charity shop I went through about twenty 10x25 donated binoculars and bought the best 4 or 5 for about £2.50 each. All glass optics and quite good. Probably 30 minutes for 20.

Will there be less variation in Alpha models ?

For the investment, I'd hope so. However as been reported by members, top tier glass, especially as newly released products\upgrades, doesn't necessarily guarantee performance consistency.

Just as in automobile manufacturing, purchasing a new car that has seen several years in production and has had the bugs worked out usually yields less long term maintenance problems.

But then, consumerism being what it is, we seem to want the Latest and Greatest, even with the introductory issues that may bring! ;)

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back