• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White throated Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Reader

Since the first reporting of this bird at Flamborough I had been checking my pager on a daily basis to see if it was staying put. By dusk on Friday it was still there so Ros and I decided to get up at the unearthly hour of 04:00am and go for it. I slightly set the clock wrong and we got up at 04:30. We left at 05:30and arrived at 08:15. 15 minutes later and I was watching a cracking looking W.T.Sparrow. What a lovely bird that was, well worthj the trip up.

Our plans from then on were to go to Spurn for a couple of hours, move on to Gibraltar point, via Donna Nook (if the little Bunting was still there, then call into one of Ros' relatives at Holbeach to hopefully stay the night. Sunday we were going to do the North Norfolk coast and also Cantley for the White winged Black Tern.

When I got back to the car I mentioned that I wasn't feeling too well and Ros said that she felt a bit under the weather as well so it was decided not to hang around but to continue with our planned itinery straight away.

Going just past Easington we came across a field covered in well over a 1,000 Golden Plovers plus 3 Turnstones but by the time we had reached Kilnsea we both said that we were feeling unwell. We stopped the car at the canal scrape, at Spurn, and went for a walk but it did no good, I felt awful and Ros didn't feel to good either. We had a rest, in the car, for an hour but it didn't do any good so we decided to call it a day and come home to Birmingham.

On our way home the pager announced the following birds in the area we had been or were to go through. Rough legged Buzzard near Brigg, Snow Buntings and Shorelark at Grimston, Red backed Shrike at Easington, Lapland Bunting at Bridlington, Firecrest at Kilnsea and Barred Warbler at Spurn. What a day to pick to feel ill!!! Still the compensation was to get brilliant views of the Sparrow.

Regards
John J

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back