• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK herps, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Dipped green liZard at boscombe today and yesterday which meant I failed in my attempt to see eight reptiles yesterday. Sand lizards and smooth snakes at two sites near wareham. Natterjacks calling and mating near Christchurch last night.

No way! What time were you at Boscombe?

John

Sorry to go slightly off topic but presumably green lizard is still a long way from being a 'Cat C species' (or the reptile equivalent)? Lever (2009) The Naturalized Animals of Britain and Ireland does not have any confirmed records of breeding. Does anyone know if there are now some?

As a side note, I got a copy of Lever ridiculously cheaply and - although it was advertised as 'used' - in perfect condition form Amazon market place.There were others.

Cheers

Last edited:
Obviously not totally indicative as juvs could have been released, but I have seen and photographed small juveniles there from, I think, before 2009

Sorry to go slightly off topic but presumably green lizard is still a long way from being a 'Cat C species' (or the reptile equivalent)? Lever (2009) The Naturalized Animals of Britain and Ireland does not have any confirmed records of breeding. Does anyone know if there are now some?

As a side note, I got a copy of Lever ridiculously cheaply and - although it was advertised as 'used' - in perfect condition form Amazon market place.There were others.

Cheers

I've seen juvenile animals there, I don't in all honesty believe they are topped up regularly. The locals will occasionally cite particular spots for juveniles but I prefer the big ones so tend not to pay attention. Sorry!

John

Well that settles whether they're out...... when's the trip?

You certainly should have scored on Green Lizard this morning, that's when I would expect to see them. I think you've been very unlucky.

John

I'm meeting Will some time next month to look for them. He had one a couple of weeks back but May & June are best months, apparently.

James, you're not the only one who struggles with those greens. I've had one female in the middle of a gorse bush in 3 or 4 attempts and that's it. Like you I failed last year to get all 8 in a day, but 7 wasn't bad, especially with 6 in a couple of hours!

J

I'm meeting Will some time next month to look for them. He had one a couple of weeks back but May & June are best months, apparently.

James, you're not the only one who struggles with those greens. I've had one female in the middle of a gorse bush in 3 or 4 attempts and that's it. Like you I failed last year to get all 8 in a day, but 7 wasn't bad, especially with 6 in a couple of hours!

J

Thanks James, that means I don't have to keep time free this month. Good to know - I've got quite enough planned!

John

Dipped green liZard at boscombe today and yesterday which meant I failed in my attempt to see eight reptiles yesterday. Sand lizards and smooth snakes at two sites near wareham. Natterjacks calling and mating near Christchurch last night.

One of the sand lizards. Even tamer than a suffolk subalp.

Attachments

• eJCL_3593.jpg
    eJCL_3593.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back