• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out Skerries 13th-27th September (3 Viewers)

Day 13 - 25th September

Mike found a Common Rosefinch in the Rocklea garden early morning, which gave some incentive to plug away in largely southerly winds. Overall though the evidence was that little had left and little had come in - most of the birds of the last couple of days were present and correct including the Whinchat, Dunnock, Reed Buntings, Willow Warbler, Chiff Chaff and at least one Song Thrush. At least 15 Lapland Buntings continued to be seen on the hills.

The situation with Yellow-browed Warblers was interesting. There was still a bird in the iris bed, but on closer look it was not the long stayer. It could be the bird that was at the lobster creels yesterday, perhaps it found the better habitat and sent the other bird packing!

The wind veered to south south east at times, and it was possible something new might drift in. Late afternoon as I left the digs after a break Mike called me over as he had just seen and photographed a 'Citrine calling' Yellow Wagtail which had no trace of yellow in its plumage. It was very skittish but over the next hour and a half we saw it on and off, including a surreal moment when it appeared on the road with two alba wagtails. Mike obtained some sound recordings, but it was quite windy and better quality recordings may be necessary. In any event, a most interesting bird.

Day 14 - 26th September

Given that wagtails don't normally migrate at night and it chucked it down hopes were high that the monochrome Yellow Wagtail would linger, become less skittish and allow better sound recordings to be taken. Unfortunately there was no sign of it. Mike can't upload his pics but to give an idea here is a similar bird he photographed here in 2005:-

http://www.michaelmckee.co.uk/regionview.asp?ID=368&Region=Shetland

The Common Rosefinch remained near Rocklea, and there was once more a Yellow-browed Warbler in the iris bed. At least 15 Lapland Buntings are also still present. During the afternoon I located a locustella warbler in the ditch behind the pool. Mike wasn't far away so I fetched him and after a bit of hide and seek we were able to confirm the suspicion it was a Gropper and nothing more exotic.

A Chaffinch was new in today also. Presuambly lingering birds included around 7 Blackcaps, the Tree Pipit, 3 Reed Buntings, 2 Willow Warblers, Song Thrush and Goldcrest. A Merlin remains in the north east, and single Teal and Wigeon were seen as well as the normal Eiders.

Mike has never seen Otter on Skerries in several autumn visits. It was therefore somewhat embarrassing to tell him I had not only had another sighting but that it involved no fewer than four animals. I am sure he will connect in the next few days.

I am on the boat at 8 in the morning. If I see anything notable on the crossing I will post on here but otherwise thanks for looking, and thanks for the kind comments on the blog and privately. You can keep up to date with the rest of the autumn on Skerries at:-

http://www.michaelmckee.co.uk/twitter.html

Stephen

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading this Stephen.

I think too many reports tend to focus on the highlights, and don't give the truer picture that it can be really hard work at times!
In recent years I have spent 3x 4 day breaks on Orkney/Shetland, and only had 1 or 2 days in total with a sniff of Easterlies.

There was a similar bird at Sumburgh Farm on Saturday which Martin Garner was having a good look at (and listen to).

Phil

Phil,

Is this the one on the Nature in Shetland website. If so that one has a yellow vent and more olive wash, a bit like the first one on Skerries this autumn.

You can't get anywhere without DNA I don't think but the ones without much yellow 'feel' more promising.

Stephen

Phil,

Is this the one on the Nature in Shetland website. If so that one has a yellow vent and more olive wash, a bit like the first one on Skerries this autumn.

You can't get anywhere without DNA I don't think but the ones without much yellow 'feel' more promising.

Stephen

Hi Stephen - yes, the same bird. A monochrome feel to it, but when it flew or flicked up there was a yellowish tinge to the vent area.

Phil

Off to Skerries tomorrow for just over a week. It could be disastrous so I won't start a new thread and will put anything on this one.

Hoping for at least one good bird and maybe some views of the Northern Lights.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back