• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id these 2 Sandpipers please ... (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Hi guys n gals,

Sandpipers are always a real bane for me ....well, those and Gulls :)

Could a kind soul please tell me what these 2 are for sure. I'm thinking one is a Pectoral and the other a semi-pal , but I'm not 100% convinced of my amazing deductions :)

many thanks

Nick

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 148
  • sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 141
Nick,
check out the long wings in the first one which narrows it down to two species. If it wherent for the dark legs on the other I would say it´s a Least.

JanJ

I think the legs just looks dark, it really feels like a Least (the second bird). Look closely and that classic Least bill is a little darked looking than the legs.

The first has that classic "weetabix on legs" look.

Hello all, I see the case for Least on the 2nd bird, but am going to have to vote SemiPalmated instead. If it were just the darkish legs, that would be one thing. But I don't see any rufous edging on wing coverts or scapulars, and there really should be some on a breeding Least. Structurally, the primary extension looks too long for Least as well, and a better fit for SP. Put those two together on the same peep with dark legs, and likely not a Least. Just my opinion of course, and shorebirds aren't my forte... B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back