• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choughs - Nearest to Dorset (1 Viewer)

DorsetDude

Hi all

Where do you reckon the nearest choughs are to Bournemouth in Dorset?

I'm guessing Devon may have some or possibly further into cornwall?

Thanks!

The nearest will be the tiny pop on the Lizard in cornwall or around Land's End. Easiest are at South Stack, Anglesey.

Hi all

Where do you reckon the nearest choughs are to Bournemouth in Dorset?

I'm guessing Devon may have some or possibly further into cornwall?

Thanks!

James is right that the birds at Southerly Point on the Lizard are your nearest in England (discounting the possibility that there are other southwest populations that aren't widely known about, which is always possible, I guess - a family group that visited the Somerset coast a few years ago were successfully kept under wraps by the finders until after they left). The other good thing about Southerly Point is that (when they're nesting at least) there are some of those "Aren't Birds Brilliant" people there, who know the birds habits well, so you're more or less guaranteed sightings. Oh, and you can watch the birds from the outdoor tables of a cafe while eating a cream tea.

However, the nearest ones both in distance and driving time, provided you don't mind paying the Second Severn Crossing toll, would be the Ogmore-by-Sea birds in south Wales. They range over quite a stretch of coast, from Porthcawl to Nash Point, so be prepared to put in some time searching for them, although you might get lucky and find them feeding on the close-cropped turf around the main beach car park (I never have, though, despite multiple visits there). The Dunraven Heritage Coast centre may be able to give you up to date news, and there are postings periodically on the Glamorgan Birds website about them.

There's also a population on the Gower, a little further into Wales, but still closer than the Lizard, and more numerous than the Ogmore birds (post-breeding population of perhaps 20-30, I'd guess, compared with fewer than 10 at Ogmore). They're spread out over the south Gower cliffs from Pennard in the east to Rhosilli in the west.

Steve

Great, thanks for that Steve.

I'm thinking I may have a spring break in snowdonia and head off to south stacks for the choughs one day and also try and find a black grouse lek somewhere up there.
And also walk up Snowdon whilst im there.

Great, thanks for that Steve.

I'm thinking I may have a spring break in snowdonia and head off to south stacks for the choughs one day and also try and find a black grouse lek somewhere up there.
And also walk up Snowdon whilst im there.

That sounds like a good idea - the South Stack birds are very reliable. For Black Grouse, the RSPB run dawn walks to a screen overlooking a lek at the Llandegla forest, which is the main site in North Wales for Black Grouse. You might like to consider this option, to minimise disturbance and increase your chances of seeing the birds.

See

http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnature/sites/forestgrouse/index.asp

Steve

Thanks for that info Steve.

Quick Update, went to the Gower Peninsula last week and found the Choughs at Rhossili and had absolutely superb views. Even had 2 buzzards appear overhead which the choughs immediately launched up to mob in flight. One of my favourite "ticks" of all and my 200th as well!

Thanks again for the great info.

I will google the forest you mention and hopefully incorporate a spring break there next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back