• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrapin ID - Uk (1 Viewer)

Chris.S

Saw 2 today at South Gare, Cleveland. Just wondering what kind they are, if you can tell from the photo?

cheers
Chris.

Attachments

• 17212134341_e107f08c2e_c.jpg
    17212134341_e107f08c2e_c.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 83
Pond Slider (Trachemys scripta), I would say. Native to the southeastern U.S. but widely introduced elsewhere.

Pond Slider (Trachemys scripta), I would say. Native to the southeastern U.S. but widely introduced elsewhere.

As a result of the Ninja Turtle craze. There are two (different subspecies) on my local patch (the London Wetland Centre) and even more on another reserve nearby.
Martin

As a result of the Ninja Turtle craze. There are two (different subspecies) on my local patch (the London Wetland Centre) and even more on another reserve nearby.
Martin

Interesting, a connection with the Ninja Turtles never occurred to me. I didn't start seeing the sliders here in Reno before the late 90sā€“-so the chronology would seem to fit--and now there's not a suitable body of water anywhere around town that doesn't have at least a few. I didn't see the first definite evidence for breeding until 2011 but it's likely to have begun much earlier than that. So far I've only encountered the one subspecies, the red-eared slider, which may have been the only variety commercially available here when the craze started.

Last edited:

Cheers, looks correct to me.

Martin

I imagine these are where they are for the same reason. Must be new though, don't think anybody else has seen them there before.

Cheers.
Chris.

Ninja Turtle craze indeed.

I was at my local state park over the weekend and was taking photos of all of the piles of turtles hoping to ID a spotted turtle. What I did see, besides the native painted turtles, was a Red Eared Slider. Looking it up even the government documents make reference to its existence in Massachusetts being largely due to the Ninja Turtle pet craze.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back