• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G9 to Swarovski ATS 80 HD (1 Viewer)

996sps

Does anyone use a Canon G9 (or G7) mated to a Swarovski ATS80-HD via the DCA? Please advice if you do then did you purchase Canon's Conversion Lens adaptor LA-DC58H and used the various rings of the DCA for the coupling.
Otherwise what other alternatives are there?

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,
To get the G series cameras to work for digiscoping you need very long eye relief eyepiece. At 25mm and 30mm plus would be better. The standard Swarovskis won't cut it.
I'm using the Scopetronix maxview S (40mm) on the Swarovski STS80HD scope with the G6. I've tried the Kowa 27x LER eyepiece on the Swarovski (it's baynet mount fits but doesn't lock ) and I've ordered the 25x to try that.
The G7 and G9 have a longer zoom lens which I haven't seen in the flesh but I imagine they would be more tricky. The best place to start would be a long ER 40mm telescope eyepiece and the Swaro Telescope eyepiece adapter.
I will try and have a look at the G9 lens in our local shop to see how it works.
Neil.

Neil,
Thanks for the heads up. I bought the Canon adaptor LA-DC58H to get "a mount" onto the camera (Canon has a bayonet mount where the decorative ring piece around the lens can be changed for different colours!!!)

I am now using the 58mm threaded end to mate with the Swarovski DCA but like you have mentioned the vignetting is still there. I have the Swarovski 20-60x as well as the 30x. I still have one more option ie. with the new DG 402 eyepiece that I use for my camcorder to mate with the scope. If it doesn't work then, well, something else at a later stage.

This setup complements my main rig (Canon dslr with 600mm lens) and was bought mainly for videoscoping but thought it would be good to use the long reach that I have seen photos posted via digiscoping for the shy and skittish birds.

I look forward to your findings and thanks.

Phil

Do any of you know if it is still possible to get the ScopeTronix MaxView-S?
Scoptronixs apparently no longer exist. Does any other company make a simular product?
IE a substitute eyepiece that will fit a swaro and give 40mm+ of eye relief?

Neil, you mention 'long ER 40mm telescope eyepiece and the Swaro Telescope eyepiece adapter' Could you point me to a website were these adapters are available?

Thanks

Do any of you know if it is still possible to get the ScopeTronix MaxView-S?
Scoptronixs apparently no longer exist. Does any other company make a simular product?
IE a substitute eyepiece that will fit a swaro and give 40mm+ of eye relief?

Neil, you mention 'long ER 40mm telescope eyepiece and the Swaro Telescope eyepiece adapter' Could you point me to a website were these adapters are available?

Thanks

This company seems to be now supplying Scopetronix gear
http://www.cncsupplyinc.com/digikits.htm
For Swarovski gear I use B and H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
The Scopetronix is the way to go as you can get the mount to fit most major brands of scope.Neil

Neil, I checked out a G9 a while back and thought it would make a great digiscoping camera as the length of the lens housing moved VERY little from max wide to max tele. The lens diameter also looked to be just a bit larger than an A series Canon. Have you handled this camera?

Neil, I checked out a G9 a while back and thought it would make a great digiscoping camera as the length of the lens housing moved VERY little from max wide to max tele. The lens diameter also looked to be just a bit larger than an A series Canon. Have you handled this camera?

I haven't physical handled it. It would be worth while experimenting with it with various eyepieces. I'll stick with the G6 and A640 for the time being as I don't have a budget . Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back