• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bright part of a miserable day. (1 Viewer)

Chris-Leeds

Due to the bad forecast for today's weather I got myself out early with the dogs. Seemed far too gloomy even for the birds with not much seen properly due to the lack of good light, a couple of kestrels and a sparrowhawk were looking the best of a disappointing hour and a half. However, after towelling the dogs dry and clean I looked out to the back garden before going inside and there was a red kite circling over the gardens and then flew over the house but those few seconds made up for it all. The 4-0 win over Huddersfield helps too.:t:
Chris.

They say every cloud has a Silver lining, Chris! Yours was the Red Kite, how exciting to see one over the house! The footie result must have been an added bonus!:t:

Due to the bad forecast for today's weather I got myself out early with the dogs. Seemed far too gloomy even for the birds with not much seen properly due to the lack of good light, a couple of kestrels and a sparrowhawk were looking the best of a disappointing hour and a half. However, after towelling the dogs dry and clean I looked out to the back garden before going inside and there was a red kite circling over the gardens and then flew over the house but those few seconds made up for it all. The 4-0 win over Huddersfield helps too.:t:
Chris.

Hi Chris

It is very wet and dull here too :-C

To see all the BoP's you have, is a nice accompaniment for the day. ;)

The Red Kite is a treat, and so close to your house too - that is s*ds law for you. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Hi, the weather is so frustrating. Having been at work all week it would be nice to be able to get out without being cold and wet. When it's like this there's not much to do if you want to stay warm and dry, maybe look out of the window but the birds will be sheltering somewhere else I reckon and christmas shopping on a wet Saturday is a big no no, I'm doing that here and now. Tomorrow the forecast isn't so good either with the predicted storms coming then it's back to work, again. Summer seems so far away.
Chris.

Hi Chris,

I've been looking for Red Kites here for a few years. I went to Harwood and had some good views, and I read reports of them over the Wharfe Valley. It must have been a very nice sight to see one over the house. Maybe some day I'll spot one here.

Isn't it the shortest day soon. I always think we have turned the corner then. Maybe Leeds are going to turn a corner too.

Hi Roy, I do get to see the odd red kite just up the road (1 mile or so) but that is always around farmland or the villages thereafter. This was the only one seen from home but the best sightings for me was on Easter Sunday past the local golf course where there were 3 plus 2 buzzard all at the same time. It's amazing how close you can get to them sometimes.
Chris.

I looked out to the back garden before going inside and there was a red kite circling over the gardens and then flew over the house but those few seconds made up for it all.
Chris.

Nice going Chris! :t:

I have to travel about 80 miles to see Red Kites (muttermutter) |:D|

Nice one Chris! :t:

I know exactly how you feel, I am going stir crazy with this wet & windy weather. At a push Birding in the rain is do-able, but the wind is a no no for some species to show. It has been relentless in Cardiff for a couple of weeks. According to Countryfile, we should get a break next week. yeah right!! lol
Well done with the Kite Chris, that's a garden special for sure.

Hi Chris,what a great spot from your garden,well done!:t:
The weather was just dreadful on Saturday wasn't it?.....and we had no landline phone or internet neither!!!!:C

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back