• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They are coming back (gradually) (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Been otherwise occupied for a few days so apologies for missing so much of what has been going on.

What is coming back are the Spadgers (and a few other things) which seem to have decided that they like the birdfood more than the natural. Not all that many by some standards but I never get very large numbers. Here are half-a-dozen of them.

Also what I've identified as a Greenbottle fly. But I didn't know that they had a gold backend so can someone please confirm. Thanks

Finally, the Alpacacas have found a friend, which to me looks different (head and ears as well as colour). Again I think it's a young Llama, any thoughts?

Bill

Attachments

• DS spadger5 in rh feeder 100908 2.jpg
    DS spadger5 in rh feeder 100908 2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DS spadger6 in pyrocantha 110908 .jpg
    DS spadger6 in pyrocantha 110908 .jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DS greenbottle ? on potentilla 120908 .jpg
    DS greenbottle ? on potentilla 120908 .jpg
    146 KB · Views: 14
  • DS alpacas & friend 110908 1.jpg
    DS alpacas & friend 110908 1.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DS alpacas & friend 110908 2.jpg
    DS alpacas & friend 110908 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 16
Great to see the Spadgers enjoying their food and the sunshine, Bill! I wish I had one Spadger in my garden never mind six! 2 lovely photo's of them!:t:

I wonder if it is a light reflection on the Greenbottle, Bill. I have checked in a couple of guides and I can only say it must be a Greenbottle. I have googled a few images also and the images I have looked at show differing colours with the light.

No idea with the Alpaca/llama. Once again super photo's from you, Bill!:t:

Nice pics Bill and good to see a healthy bunch of H.Sparrows too!:t:
It looks like a Greenbottle to me.
Could the new friend be a male of the species with a view to breeding??? you'll have to have a closer look! lol!:-O

Lovely pics, Bill. I think it is a reflection making the Greenbottle's end look gold. I am not sure if the new arrival is a llama as it looks quite similar to the alpacas to me - just a different colour. Great to see the sparrows too. We don't get many here.

Hi Bill,
My H'Sparrows seem to be dependant on feeders too. I noticed the new variety of sunflower seed mix I purchased from Ernest Charles has slowed the pace down enormously. This is a mix of B/W and part husk. The supply now lasts for up to 3 days as opposed to daily, which is a huge saving & saves me pulling on my wellies to top the feeders every day!

Not sure about the Fly, but the image is funky! I love the colour contrast.
The llama/alpacas is gorgeous what ever it is.
Hope the sun is shining down your way Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back