• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken eyecup on HG (1 Viewer)

mosschops

Hi All,
The left hand eyecup on my 8x33 HG MIG is now stuck in the fully down position, they are only 3 months old. It was just like that one day, the bins have not been knocked or dropped. Since new I did notice that when twisting the cups fully out the left eyecup did make a metallic noise where the right made a nice cushioned sound. So if anyone can answer the belows questions that would be great.

1. I don't want to force the eyecup up but do they come off like on the Ultravids for cleaning?
2. Has anybody else had this problem?
3. If they go back to Minox in Wetlar how long will I be without them for?

Regards

Jason

Maybe if you talk to Minox in the UK they will be able to repair them here without sending them to Germany. I had the eyecups replaced on my 10x52 HD BR's (admittedly about 5 years ago) and they were replaced within a matter of days - I found the Minox people extremely helpful and keen to establish their 'customer satisfaction' credentials.

B

A possible contact name just came to me - DaveM (I think it's Dave Morgan) at Newpro UK may be the man to contact - if he still works for Minox that is. Just a thought!!

Before I purchased my MIG HG's I called Minox USA with a few questions. One was about warranty and the friendly guy I spoke with said they can repair eyecups at their facility but basically everything else had to be sent overseas. So my guess is they may be able to be repaired at Minox either locally or at least in your country. I have 2 MIG's and 1 MIJ and have not experienced any problems nor have I ever read of any. Hope it works out well! (Keep us posted)

A possible contact name just came to me - DaveM (I think it's Dave Morgan) at Newpro UK may be the man to contact - if he still works for Minox that is. Just a thought!!

Sorry all, we've not handled the Minox brand for over 2 years and are now the UK distributors of VORTEX OPTICS.

Dave Morgan

Last edited:
Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I spoke to a guy called Rob at Minox UK and he thinks that they can be fixed in the UK so I have sent them in. He thinks he can give them a quick turnaround so hopefully I will see them back next week. His diagnosis is a screw that has worked loose and is jamming the mechanism.
Full marks so far for Minox UK customer service.
Top binoculars these, the only difference I can see between these and the real top dogs is a little softening around the edge but why some people see this as a problem I'll never know.
Also for a non-ED glass, chromatic abberations are really well controlled and if anyone has reservations about the shallow depth of field and quick focussing I can assure you that you soon get used to it. It is not a problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
An update on the bins. Minox UK didn't have the eyecup assembly in stock so they have sent the bins to Germany and have told me that they may be back as early as the end of next week.

Well, it looks as if I will have to contact Rob at Minox UK. I was about to leave the hide today when there was a loud bang and my Minox 8x43 HGs which had been hanging round my neck were lying at my feet. One end of the strap had come undone. They landed on the left hand eye cup with is now bent and won't twist in and out. Apart from that they seem to be all right. So now it is my turn to sample the Minox after sales service. I guess I will have to pay as it was an accident and not a manufacturing fault. In the meantime it is back to my trusty Trinovids.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back