• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woodpeckers - west romania - part2 (1 Viewer)

I think unstreaked breast and black line underneath red crown rule that out

But it does not have the black line connecting the cheek to back of the head. If it is a juvenile it may be a juvenile Syrian woodpecker. They do not have the black line, and live in West Romania.

And its proportions are more like a Middle (of course it would be much better to see it moving, I think the white arm-patch should be under a different angle). GSW is a slim bird, this one looks quite stocky.

the line joining the moustachial stripe and the nape is often broken in juv great spot, the amount of white in the tail excludes syrian, it's not a middle spotted for the reasons given by Stuart. It's a great spot

separating juvenile great spotted from syrian can be tricky as juv GSW can have this sort of "broken connection" of hindcheek-line. and in some syrian the angle of black line can appear getting similarly close to the black nape when the head is strongly bend (bill pointing downwards).
but this is a juvenile dendrocopos major, one with a relativ wide gap on hindcheek. the all white appearing outer tail feathers and lack of flank streaking give it away.
voice is the easiest way to tell them apart in the field though...

Having looked at image 5...I'm thinking that this is indeed a Syrian Woodpecker...no horizontal black banding to the white outer tail margins, extremely muted wash of red to the flanks and on blow up..what might best be described as faint streaking to the white upper flank area, also the head pattern suits perfectly. These features do not imo compare to GSW.

Cheers

thanks all,
i have talked with more people and they said that my bird have more characteristics of major. so i go with juv. GSW

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back