• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (7 Viewers)

My 509th lifer is a Fox Sparrow just down the road here.

Saw something skulking in the bushes, thought it was a Fox, then dismissed it as a Song when I saw the pattern on the face but it turns out it was a Fox after all.

Had a strange Acciptrid today as well. It was completely dark, much smaller than a Red-tailed, wings were very round and I could have sworn it had a white band on the rump/tail....No pics unforunately; saw it down the freeway.

Two nights ago I was out star gazing with a pair of 8x42 binoculars and a Barred Owl flew over my head and landed in a Hickory tree 50 feet away. It was high enough in the tree to be seen in the sky glow, and it stayed there for over a minute.

On a roll....today's lifer: Golden Plover at Prestwick Carr, Northumberland. A huge - and growing - flock circling over the fields calling, before disappearing out of sight to the north.

You see, it's easy to get them when you're a relative novice! (Although I'm rather pleased that it takes my UK list to 150)

But, I thought that it would be interesting to see when it was that you observed your last "life" bird. *A "life" bird is one which you now have seen, but have never seen it in the wild before.

What was it? When? and Where?

Wigeon and Snipe, January 2nd 2012
There were some mud deposits along the bank of Danube in downtown Belgrade (they were removed by a bulldozer ship several days later).

Pigeon Guillemot, Violet-green Swallow (woot) and Chestnut-backed Chickadee.

Possible Northern Rough-winged Swallow too. Yet no sign of any Yellow-billed Magpie despite being in their prime habitat for whatever reason....Maybe they aren't as far south as San Jose after all.

Pigeon Guillemot, Violet-green Swallow (woot) and Chestnut-backed Chickadee.

Yet no sign of any Yellow-billed Magpie despite being in their prime habitat for whatever reason....Maybe they aren't as far south as San Jose after all.

Hi Silverwolf,
The Yellow-billed Magpies are even farther south. I got one on a rural road near Solvang. If you go to Nojoqui Falls Park you will most likely have luck seeing some on the drive in or out. I also saw loads of Band-tailed Pigeons in the park itself. It's a beautiful park and walk. Congrats on the Guillemot!
Sue

Potoo, Potoo, Potoo, Woo-Hoo!! And not just any Common Potoo, but a Great Potoo! I've been looking for this guy FOREVER! I had a rental car this week so I was able to get out at night. I have to turn the car in tomorrow. this was my last night and I got him!

I have seen the SPOON-BILLED SANDPIPER and it was good :D

Also Asian Dowitcher and Nordmann's Greenshank all seen in 1 morning at Yangkou, China...the holy trinity of waders...

I wasn't even birdwatching yesterday when I drove underneath a big (probably at least 100) kettle of Broad-winged Hawks. They were everywhere. Funny to think that sometimes I have to settle for counting a single individual as a life bird!

After trudging through a muddy field in drizzling rain I finally got to see a Stilt Sandpiper showing nicely together with the local Redshanks at Kogrundet, Uppland. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back