• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vermillian flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Philter4

I was in Bakersfield CA last week for a convention and during a meeting Thursday I was told about a male vermillian flycatcher some new aquaintences saw along a canal near the Kern Bike Path. This is outside of the normal range but not the first sighting of individuals that far north or west in the Central Valley.

The next morning I went to see if it was there along with a couple of bird watching friends and he was there right where they told me to look. I watched him for at least 20 minutes, got some great views but unfortunately did not get a photo. On the first day there were at least 3 in the party and three of us the second day who saw the bird. I also went on the last day I was there to try to get a photo (some people got great photos, unfortunately I was not one of them) and we heard him as well as got a very brief look but he flew down the canal along the brush where we could not follow.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back