• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoos copy hawks to scare birds (1 Viewer)

Fascinating. Interesting that bird of prey mimicry doesn't apply to Brown-headed Cowbirds which look as different from the local bird eating hawks & falcons as can be.

Interesting, but I'd think there's something lost in translation between the original research and the BBC interpretation of it.

"Cuckoos have evolved plumage patterns that give them a hawk-like appearance to scare the birds whose nests they invade, say scientists"

That sentence seems to imply intent, where none can be.

Cuckoos have evolved to a hawk-like appearance, as we've all seen and this will scare off the birds whose nests they use, I have no doubt.

But to say that they evolved that plumage in order to scare the birds is a completely false interpretation of evolution. Evolution has no intent.

Interesting, but I'd think there's something lost in translation between the original research and the BBC interpretation of it.

"Cuckoos have evolved plumage patterns that give them a hawk-like appearance to scare the birds whose nests they invade, say scientists"

That sentence seems to imply intent, where none can be.

Cuckoos have evolved to a hawk-like appearance, as we've all seen and this will scare off the birds whose nests they use, I have no doubt.

But to say that they evolved that plumage in order to scare the birds is a completely false interpretation of evolution. Evolution has no intent.

I don’t know, it seems a harmless enough piece of shorthand to me. How else would you want it to be put in a shortish article intended for the layman, particularly one in which the subject matter is cuckoos rather than evolutionary theory as such?

The subject matter is the evolution of cuckoos. Hard to leave evolution out of it.

the BBC's official remit is to "Inform, Entertain and Educate". I don't see the words "mislead", "misinform" or "avoid scientific principles" in there.

Last edited:
The subject matter is the evolution of cuckoos. Hard to leave evolution out of it..

Evolution hasn’t been left out of the article, it just hasn’t been rigorously defined, as it might have been in a longer & more detailed treatment.

the BBC's official remit is to "Inform, Entertain and Educate". I don't see the words "mislead", "misinform" or "avoid scientific principles" in there.

And I don’t see where either “mislead” or “misinform” comes into it. As I said before, the sentence that you take exception to strikes me as perfectly acceptable shortland without teleological implications of any kind.

But, tempest in a teapot. We can continue to wrangle about this if you want or (my preference) we can just agree to disagree on our respective attitudes towards the article. It’s not as if we’re quarreling about a matter of substance, after all.

A penny dropping moment for me. Seems obvious when you think about it. Why didn't this occur to anyone before?

Evolution hasn’t been left out of the article, it just hasn’t been rigorously defined, as it might have been in a longer & more detailed treatment.

And I don’t see where either “mislead” or “misinform” comes into it. As I said before, the sentence that you take exception to strikes me as perfectly acceptable shortland without teleological implications of any kind.

But, tempest in a teapot. We can continue to wrangle about this if you want or (my preference) we can just agree to disagree on our respective attitudes towards the article. It’s not as if we’re quarreling about a matter of substance, after all.
The point is (which may not be apparent in Nevada) that the BBC is funded by a statutory licence (£145.50 - about $210 per year). it is not a private provider, everyone in the UK with a television is bound by law to pay the fee. In return the BBC has a statutory duty to follow its remit to inform, educate and entertain.

It is under increasing criticism on several fronts. there is growing opposition to the compulsory licence. It is accused of constantly 'dumbing down' rather than educating and informing.

This to me is a matter of substance. It is distorting the science on a topic which purports to be scientific. It is dumbing down rather than educating. They should be setting the facts straight about evolution rather than continuing to spread ignorance and perpetuating misconceptions.

Sadly it is what the BBC does more and more often these days, encouraged by those who say "It doesn't matter, it's just details".

It feels like you're being talked to as a child when you watch the BBC. That's why I don't have a TV.

Wow, quite a species for mimicry, aren't they? Eggs and now plumage! It makes me wonder what else we have to discover about these birds and mimicry in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back