• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Bolivia (2 Viewers)

Thanks Temmie, love your review. To me, it contains all I want to know before deciding whether or not to get a book. Now if only the book will become available here. I have no immediate travel plans though. But my appetite has definitely been wetted. :-O

Usually, the thing that tells me I need a book, is when there is a book to buy!

There are very few exceptions, I want them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very frustrated that we can't get this book, thanks Temmie.

A

I managed to pick up a copy at the Bird Fair last weekend. World Land Trust had a few copies (5 left when I bought mine on the Sunday) on their stall priced at £45.

Overall a good book although some plates are far better than others presumably due to different artists being used. Also quite weighty at 1150 grams. A much needed book to fill a big gap in Neo Tropics field guides.

I now need to organise a trip to Bolivia for the book to used for what it was originally attended for.

Still no improvements of the situation?

………….
Very frustrated that we can't get this book, ………..

A

This has been a terribly long time that a book has been out, but has essentially not made it to a main segment of the market, it seems.

The slow trickle whenever some books make it to Buteo Books can't exactly be the solution to fill the need.

NHBS mentions "negotiations", but it would seem slugs carry the answers back and forth.

Is there really still no light to be seen at the end of the tunnel?

This has been a terribly long time that a book has been out, but has essentially not made it to a main segment of the market, it seems.

The slow trickle whenever some books make it to Buteo Books can't exactly be the solution to fill the need.

NHBS mentions "negotiations", but it would seem slugs carry the answers back and forth.

Is there really still no light to be seen at the end of the tunnel?

NHBS will charge a hefty 'add on' if they do ever get any books.

I'm after an Indian moth guide that costs about £30 in India, NHBS are the only one's who have it in the UK and they want £110, totally unjustifiable IMO............

I've actually given up on the Bolivia book now, I won't pay £90 for it which is a price I've seen attached to it somewhere?

I've been working on my Poyser collection recently, there's only about 10 I don't have now.

Last edited:
NHBS will charge a hefty 'add on' if they do ever get any books.

I'm after an Indian moth guide that costs about £30 in India, NHBS are the only one's who have it in the UK and they want £110, totally unjustifiable IMO............

I've actually given up on the Bolivia book now, I won't pay £90 for it which is a price I've seen attached to it somewhere?

I've been working on my Poyser collection recently, there's only about 10 I don't have now.

To each their own priorities!

But if you want to visit Bolivia, and prepare for that trip, the price is secondary, unless you manage to get by with HBW Alive and/or the De La Peña book by Collins. Bolivia is only in part included there.

I ordered a copy last year from Buteo and got it in the mail within weeks, on my first try. Must have been lucky! o:D

Actually, same with me :), but a day later the supplies were gone. Now, my brother is looking for a copy. I have no intention to let him take along my copy, though he only wants to take the tour if he has a book.

And bookings both of the tour and the flights can't be done at the last minute. When he ordered his copy from Buteo a few weeks ago, he was told to be number 19 on the list. So it's obvious that there is a major bottleneck situation.

Last edited:
After four years I had the opportunity to borrow this book via the library loan of the Ibero-American Institute in Berlin. Well, what should I say? The plates are beautifully illustrated. In particular I love the style by Carl Christian Tofte. And the texts: The descriptions are as comprehensive as in other field guides. Well, It would have been a great book to buy but I think Herzog et al had never the intention to make this book available for a wider distribution. I can borrow this book until early July.

Last edited:
I don't recall details nor can I refind any posts in a quick search but there was news at some point in the last 6 mos - 1 year that the book would be republished outside of Bolivia. I apologize I can't offer more info but it was stated.

For those that have an interest, following Asociacion Civil Armonia on Facebook provides updates from time to time.

I don't recall details nor can I refind any posts in a quick search but there was news at some point in the last 6 mos - 1 year that the book would be republished outside of Bolivia. I apologize I can't offer more info but it was stated.

For those that have an interest, following Asociacion Civil Armonia on Facebook provides updates from time to time.

I gave up on this a long time ago.

Last edited:
The website Josh linked to seems to function as a book store. However, shipping seems limited to the US, where it is a flat rate of about $10. When I tried to select Barbados, it looked like they expect me to come and pick up the book ;)

Niels

Shame they won't ship internationally. There are re-shipping services but they get expensive. And not many friends bouncing back and forth between US / EU these days.

On a different note, has anyone seen what the changes are to the "second edition" listed / detailed anywhere, by the way?

Just followed your link above. But that doesn't mention getting in touch with Sebastian / Armonia. The staff there aren't always very responsive, but Sebastian himself should be.

Tried here first

http://andes-amazonia.com/bird-bolivia/birds_of_bolivia_field_guide.html

When I failed to get any reply at all after several attempts I went directly to Mr Herzog and again, no reply.

Most recently, I tried through this 'university'.....

https://www.future.edu/birds-of-bolivia/

I've explored every avenue in order to get this book, If you doubt me, here's his e-mail.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Tried here first

http://andes-amazonia.com/bird-bolivia/birds_of_bolivia_field_guide.html

When I failed to get any reply at all after several attempts I went directly to Mr Herzog and again, no reply.

Most recently, I tried through this 'university'.....

https://www.future.edu/birds-of-bolivia/

I've explored every avenue in order to get this book, If you doubt me, here's his e-mail.

[email protected]

I got mine through Buteo Books about a year or so ago. Not really cheap, but anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back