• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nocturnal Bird ID help, sound only (1 Viewer)

spainton26

I am located in Neenah, WI (Northeastern part of the State) and have been hearing a new bird sound of the night for the past 3 weeks.

Some characteristics about the bird(s):

There are definitely two in the area. One is always close to our house. Meaning, literally, right next to the house in a tree to the point that I should be able to see it but with the foliage and darkness, it is impossible.

They mainly make one call (the one I have provided)- one will call and then another will answer but not everytime. Although, on one occasion, my husband went outside to bring out the trash and it was upset and started making a different call.

We live in the middle of a dense forest of hardwood trees, many of which are filled with woodpecker holes.

This bird is only heard at night, usually around 9-10 pm. For all I know they could be calling all night and I just don't hear it.

I have searched through Cornell's Bird Guide and I think I found my match as being the Northern Hawk Owl. The thing that throws me off is they typically aren't found in my area. After doing some research I discovered that in the Fall they will migrate south of their typical region. I haven't had any diurnal sightings or heard anything during the day, yet.

Here is the link to the call we here almost nightly (and I attached my recording for comparison- call at 20 sec and 30 sec): (listen to the screeching and yelping link- we have only heard this bird call the first part of this clip. The sound my husband heard on the single occasion was the male advertising song.) http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/northern_hawk_owl/sounds

Any help or info would be great! We are intrigued by this as it is completely different than our typical night time friends we hear :)

Attachments

• My recording #3.wav
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back