• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common / Ring-billed Gull in La Palma / Spain (1 Viewer)

AlinoVegano

Hi all,

Last month I found a Common Gull on a beach at Santa Cruz were was also the first Iceland Gull of La Palma, Canaries, Spain. However, despite confirmations of some birding contacts I have, Eduardo Garcia del Rey thinks it might actually be a Ring-billed Gull (he thought about an individual that wintered at Tenerife and trying to travel back to Nearctic).

I'd like your opinion. The photo with the Iceland Gull is "photoshopped", there were really together, but I took the photo of each separately (there were to far apart for my zoom) and joined them in post-treatment.

Thanks for helping

Alino

Attachments

• Larus_canus1.jpg
    Larus_canus1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 126
  • Larus_canus3.jpg
    Larus_canus3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Larus_canus4.jpg
    Larus_canus4.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 112
Welcome to Birdforum!

Looks like Common to me, the bill is too small for Ring-billed, and the bird overall too small compared to the LBBG in pic #3.

It does look small billed, but the body shape is all RBG - Common is realtively shorter legged and longer in the rear

http://www.birdersplayground.co.uk/Common Gull - 1st years.html

When I found the bird, I thought RbG rarer than Common, so I hoped RgG... but what disturbed me for Ring-billed Gulll was: he was so short-legged and long winged that I doubted, and disappointingly came back thinking I "only" found a Common. Finally, Common would be new for La Palma, and RbG would be a second, not that bad of course.

I'm not arguing against you or Brian, obviously you have more knowledge of them... just explaining my confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back