• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally! (1 Viewer)

jasonp

I've been trying to get decent shots of a Golden Cheeked Warbler for four years. I've seen them multiple times but they were always in the shade, too far away, moving too fast, etc. Well today I had planned a hike on my day off work but my 5 year old was sick this morning so I had pretty much written it off. Then about noonish or so, he starts telling me, "Dad, can we go to the river?" I figured it would be some good relaxation for him to stick his feet in the water so I took him to the Sabinal River near Utopia, TX. Of course, I figured I'd be out where some critters were so I took my camera not expecting anything special. Well while I'm standing with him in ankle deep water, I hear what I thought was a Warbler off a few yards away. I thought, surely not, but I grabbed my camera and walked towards the sound. Well, long story short, I found two "talking" to one another in some cedar. Photos:
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Had to share this with the bird nuts. I showed my wife the photos and she said, "And?.....it's a bird" ....never understand.

Last edited:
What a beauty!!! :t: I positively drool when I see photos of some of your American birds.....really MUST get a passport sorted out and get myself across to enjoy them! o:)

Oooh Jason... what a beautiful bird that is. No wonder you're so pleased to even see it.

They surely must be hard birds to find, as there's only three pictures in the Gallery so far, and none have come in for about a year.

You know I think your son just 'knew' there was going to be something good for you out there LOL.

Thanks for the tale Jason - really enjoyed it.

Congratulations, nice shots. It makes my day to get decent photos of any warbler, much less a spectacular one like that.

One of my nemesis birds! Took a trip to the hill country a few years ago just to see this one and the Black-capped Vireo. Missed the Golden-cheeked. Stunning photos, hope you post them in the gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back