• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When a new Leica binocular? (1 Viewer)

The new Swarovski PV 7x42, 8.5x42, and 10x42 Porro Prism Binoculars.

New for 2013, Swarovski is now offering a new PORRO PRISM design that's sure to please. Imagine a view that's as sharp and bright and free of stray color as our SV series roof binoculars, in a package that's half the price! Although the new PV series are a little heavier and larger than our SVs, the user is rewarded with a wonderful 3D view that's very easy to hold in the hands and still has Swarovski's legendary waterproofness and durabilty.

Available in both armored and pebble grain versions, the PVs offer the same brilliant coatings you've come to expect in our SV line. Twist up eyecups? Of course! Smooth, internal focus? You bet! Ideal for that second great pair of bins to use at your kid's game, the 7x42s have a field of view of 475' at 1000 yards making it easy to follow the action. The 8.5 and 10x versions are great for most of the rest of us where ultimate ruggedness and compactness aren't required.

So check out the new PV series at your local shop and see if they're the Swarovskis for you

Bravo Kevin! Well done! :t: Let's see more entries..

Last edited:
I speak of my own experiences, not about theoretical numbers of manufacturers.
I´ve compared my Zeiss 7x42 FL to some porro binocular, like Vixen Ultima 9x63 (one of the best Vixen binoculars), and 9x63 was only a bit brighter, but not enough it should be for a 63 mm compared to 42 mm. Zeiss has an objetive surface of 44% of Vixen.
The only way to know which one is brighter is comparing them in low light conditions, like twilight, moon nights and astronomy.

How many compact binoculars are brighter than Zeiss Victory 8x20?

I know porro is a brighter design than roof, but I continue thinking only the best porros can pass the best roofs (in brightness).

Otherwise, I think birders don´t need any increase in luminosity (though would welcome), because an alpha 8x32 is enough in most cases. An then we have 42 mm binoculars.
That increase would benefit specially to hunters and astronomers.

I wouldn´t change my Zeiss FL to get a brightest binocular, but I´d change it to achieve certain optical qualities Swarovision has.

You mentioned the Nikon SE and Nikon EDG. To me, these two models achieve the best balance btwn pincushion and "rolling ball". Panning is smooth with the SEs. The 10x42 EDG also pans smoothly. To Nikon's credit, it was able to achieve these results with both models while also giving them sharp edges, but not going to extreme like the HG or SV EL.

I only have tested once a Nikon EDG, and it was a 10x42 when I compared it to some 8x42, 8.5x42 binoculars. So I haven´t a precise comparation test with EDG.

I only have tested once a Nikon EDG, and it was a 10x42 when I compared it to some 8x42, 8.5x42 binoculars. So I haven´t a precise comparation test with EDG.

Alberto:

I now am thinking your original post on ranking and the rest is making more sense.
It is very hard for anyone to test all of these fine optics over a period of time
and so this seems to be the case with you.

Many of your rankings follow along with much of what is known. The difference is the EDG has proven to be right at the top. But you have not tested it as much, so have not included it.

Too bad, you made a nice review but did not include all of the latest optics.

Jerry

Kevin, you are out of your mind, but in a delightful way. Funny thing is, with some new eyepieces, the Habichts would just about be there.
Ron

Alberto:

I now am thinking your original post on ranking and the rest is making more sense.
It is very hard for anyone to test all of these fine optics over a period of time
and so this seems to be the case with you.

Many of your rankings follow along with much of what is known. The difference is the EDG has proven to be right at the top. But you have not tested it as much, so have not included it.

Too bad, you made a nice review but did not include all of the latest optics.

Jerry

Hello Jerry.
That isn´t a review, it´s only my opinion, as I said.
About Nikon EDG you´re right, I haven´t tried a 8x42 EDG to can review it. Neither I have never tried any Kowa 8.5x44 XD.

But I have had together a Leica Ultravid 8x42 and Zeiss 7x42 FL and I had tested them almost every day in all light conditions, and stopped them to 32 and 25 mm, for about a month.
I sold Leica and kept Zeiss, only because of the higher CA in Leica.

I have had several alpha binoculars and have compared to others several times for periods of about 30-60 minutes in several stores of my city.
The first times no, but now when I go to a store I know exactly what qualities to set, because I know very well my binoculars´s qualities and aberrations, and I know what I´d like they´d keep and improve.
Of course that is an opinion not a scientific review.

I only knows something, Swarovision has better contrast and CA, and better edge sharpness than Zeiss FL and SLC HD.
It has better ergonomy too. It´s as easier(or even easier) for me hold an SV 8.5x42 as my Zeiss 7x42, despite 8.5x against 7x.

The authentic comparison will be:
-Swarovski Swarovision.
-Swarovski SLC HD.
-Nikon EDG.
-New Zeiss.
-New Leica.
-New alpha porro(if any of these brands build it).

Merry Christmas to all

Last edited:
Holy Moley! They actually listened to me. :)

I've been advocating an updated Trinny for a while now. I was hoping the design to retain a little of the "brick" shape w/out the weight rather than look like an Ultraslim, but I'm glad to see that Leica will finally be joining Nikon, Swaro and Zeiss in the burgeoning second tier marketplace, which was one of my predictions. :)

Thanks for that update tvc15. Bowie thanks you too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTjsOzeIpc0&feature=player_embedded

Nostrabrockus

Last edited:
Holy Moley! They actually listened to me. :)

I've been advocating an updated Trinny for a while now. I was hoping the design to retain a little of the "brick" shape w/out the weight rather than look like an Ultravid, but I'm glad to see that Leica will finally be joining Nikon, Swaro and Zeiss in the burgeoning second tier marketplace, which was one of my predictions. :)

Thanks for that update tvc15. Bowie thanks you too. :)

Nostrabrockus

I must give credit where it is due. I for one never thought I would see this take place.
You were correct in your predection.

T

Bob,
HDC stands for High Density Coating, meaning the outer lenses have some kind of special abrasion resistance.

Well, by doggies. Wonder where they're made. I regret the name, which fails to distinguish it from the famous and good BA and BN oldies. I guess we'll have to call it the "Trinovid nothing" or "just Trinovid", or "Trinovid, period".
Ron

We have as alpha binoculars:

-Swarovski Swarovision.
-Swarovski SLC HD.
-Nikon EDG.
-Zeiss HT.

Now Leica should must make a new alpha binocular to compete with them.

We have as betta binoculars:

-Swarovski CL.
-Nikon HG.
-Zeiss Conquest HD.
-Leica Trinovid.
-Kowa XD.
-Minox HG APO.
-Nikon SE and EII.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back