• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (32 Viewers)

did you see the Little Terns Keith

no little terns but we did get sandwich tern as well as 2 more cuckoos, making 4 for the day. We suspect that by the acoustic thingie we were witness to a cuckoo laying an egg in a sedge warblers nest. The cuckoo went down into the scrub for a short while all the time a sedgie going crackers just above it. Then the cuckoo was up and away like a rocket.

so how some there was a report of 11 icky's, bluethroat, sprosser, golden oriole????
Bad timings??

Possibly bad timings but nothing seemed to be hanging about. The same thing was happening to just about everyone we spoke to.

We had a number of possible Icky's but each time they were into undergrowth and didn't seem to want to come out. Completely missed the ortolan which was slap bang in front of me apparently, poss little tern out on the flats picking something off the mud, harrier sp. which was grey in colour but couldn't be tied to one species. Highlight was watching cuckoos looking for nests and (we think) succeeding in one case. Mammal list was good with Roe Deer, rabbit, an audacious Hare and Stoat.

A good day though and a nice tan, if we'd gone for the pied blackbird we'd have been drenched and miserable.

Had a quick dash through to Spurn tonight, went around post 62 to start with and almost immediately saw the golden oriole, it flew up and circled around before going back into cover.
Almost straight away a red-backed shirike appeared and it kept in view whilst flitting from posts to brances.I got within 20m.Also a spotted flycatcher there but no sign of the bluethroat.
I had a quick look on the parade ground near the point but there didn't seem to be much about.
On the way back I stopped near the warren and got within 10ft of a singing marsh warbler, but couldn't actually see it.
Called in at sammy's Point but there was no sign of the Ortolan.
Not a bad couple of hours.

Attachments

• DSCN2142.jpg
    DSCN2142.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 80
Nice to see John there yesterday. He was bringing me bad luck and things did improve once he'd departed! In the morning I too was chasing things round and seeing nothing. I'd vowed not to, but the report of a Serin (need for Yorkshire) had me dashing from the Crown & Anchor (where I'd just missed an Icky) to the point in hot pursuit of John's car. It turned out to be a Siskin, but by then I'd got the chasing round bug.

All I'd seen before John left was Spot. Fly. I went back to the Warren and this time found the male Red-backed Shrike sheltering from the wind - the weather was pretty horrid. I then drove up the peninsula and....chaos - a Bluethroat was showing on the road, with birders looking north and south at it, and no-one wanting to drive up and disturb it. Result - blocked road, and this is mid-week with no major rarity about. One day when a weekend biggy turns up, it will be gridlock. I was pleased with the Bluethroat, and feeling a bit more relaxed headed off down the sheep field. I found another Red-backed Shrike - a male again, that John had seen briefly.

I then followed instructions to stand on the bank and wait for an Oriole fly-pass. In less than half an hour it duly obliged - number 9 buses and all that! Quite a bright bird against the dull sky, but not a male.

I then kept missing Icky's - tried for about five in all and saw none. The best I got was by the green beacon, where it sang - lovely "squeaky toy" and had a couple of brief flight views (non-countable).

I rounded the day off with a couple of Grey-headed Wagtails, and managed to get a few shots of the well-marked, all but tailless bird.

I'd arrived at 11:00 and left at 18:00. As usual it had been tough (Spurn rarely isn't) but very enjoyable.

If I ever start to practice what I preech, the strategy for Spurn (unless it's a real rarity) must be not to chase, and to work a patch. The reality is even with all that list, you may be 2-3 hours just waiting for an Icky. I think you need to pick your birds, decide what you want to see and stay put. In my case it was Icky, (haven't seen one for a few years) and I should have staked a site out.

Golden rule of Spurn - "no plan survives contact with the enemy" - it always reads easier on the pager.

As Marcus says though at least we haven't missed a biggy......yet.

Just back from a couple of hours at spurn this evening, had an Icky, stonking male red-backed Shrike, Golden Oriole and heard at least 4 Marsh Warblers but didn't see any unfortunately, see what tomorrow brings!!!

Cheers

Andy

I am hoping the Ortoaln stick ntil the weekend. Personally i think the numbers of birds will drop, but I think stuff should be found for the next four or five days. There's all the stuff that Spurn will pick up as it moves back south, and theres bound to be more lurking...

EDIT: serin must be the only yorks bird I have on you Steve. First trip to Spurn in 1993 there was a grotty one on the grass at the warren, which still attracted quite a crowd. Also scored woodlark that day.

Last edited:
Lawts I think you need to pick your birds said:
Hi Steve

Exactly what we did for the Icky in same area as GO on Monday, in the end, a we were giving up, I heard it singing in a different area over the road by post 61, stayed put, and got in on top, for a short time.

Best
Daz

Ps Less about tho, so wasn't that distracted...

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and putting the NHS net to good use! - just a little bit envious of all the good birds you're seeing at the moment, particularly at Spurn. Don't get out too much because of small kids but did see my first SEO at the weekend in Northumberland, which was fantastic. I tried for the night Heron at Catton before the weekend but did not find it. No recent report on birdguides - can anyone tell me whether it is still around? would be a lifer for me

hope you all have a successful day!

Mark

I am hoping the Ortoaln stick ntil the weekend. Personally i think the numbers of birds will drop, but I think stuff should be found for the next four or five days. There's all the stuff that Spurn will pick up as it moves back south, and theres bound to be more lurking...

EDIT: serin must be the only yorks bird I have on you Steve. First trip to Spurn in 1993 there was a grotty one on the grass at the warren, which still attracted quite a crowd. Also scored woodlark that day.

I dipped that bird Marcus. Got the Woodlark - my first.

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and putting the NHS net to good use! - just a little bit envious of all the good birds you're seeing at the moment, particularly at Spurn. Don't get out too much because of small kids but did see my first SEO at the weekend in Northumberland, which was fantastic. I tried for the night Heron at Catton before the weekend but did not find it. No recent report on birdguides - can anyone tell me whether it is still around? would be a lifer for me

hope you all have a successful day!

Mark

I wouldn't be surprised if it was still around. It wasn't drawing many observers when it first appeared, and if the dog rescue people have stopped putting news out.

If it's down by the river it's fairly obvious just sat in the willows.

Also I was chatting to the guy on the gate at Spurn, and he mooted that there was a feeling that one of the RBF females this spring maybe a fem type Taiga. Not sure if I picked up on some heresay or something and there has been nothing on there website. Thought I would mention it anyway.

thanks Lawts, I'll maybe go and have another look. Did you go down to the river through the fields to the left of the dog centre or the right?

Mark

There will be a mega in East Yorkshire found either late Saturday, Sunday or any time in the following week. This bird will be bigger than a Gt Reed Warbler but is quite likely to be found at Flamborough.

How do I know?

I will be far away from Yorkshire, thats why!

Went looking at a local location for woodlarks and LSW. Saw neither but did spot a possible breeding turtle dove.

Might try spurn/filey tomorrow pm if anyone fancies some company.

mark.

Had another quick trip this morning, went to Sammy's Point for the Ortolan,bit of a walk from the car park (south) look for the orange bucket on the bank and scan the bushes opposite.
There was quite a crowd at 6.30 but they soon dispersed when news of the thrush nightingale broke, left me by myself with some great views.I must have passed 20 birders on the way back, and there has been no further reports today, so if anyones going for it an early start might be a good bet.
Also saw wood warbler and female red backed shrike.

Attachments

• OB4.jpg
    OB4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 89
  • OB10.jpg
    OB10.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 70
  • OB6.jpg
    OB6.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 85
I'll be chucking the tent in the car and setting off to the coast straight after work tomorrow, but won't get there until half-six at least. Anyone recommend a camp-site preferably Spurn way so I can work my way north Saturday? Could do it the other way round and camp Filey/Flamborough way if the birds or lack of campsites dictate.

Thanks,
Graham

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back