• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To kill or not to kill? (2 Viewers)

Does anyone know if any control program for feral cats has proved effective in reducing populations? Effective programs with other introduced predators? What changes beneficial and not? Guess I will try google

Probably not a good question, geography and reproduction rates probably vary result.

Mike

Feral cats have been eradicated from various islands where they were annihilating endemic wildlife. North America is just a bigger island. Go on - you can do it - look at the Passenger Pigeon, IBWO, plains buffalo (almost - it wasn't inability to do it that stopped it), Great Auk........

John

Feral cats have been eradicated from various islands where they were annihilating endemic wildlife. North America is just a bigger island. Go on - you can do it - look at the Passenger Pigeon, IBWO, plains buffalo (almost - it wasn't inability to do it that stopped it), Great Auk........

John

I knew that Carolina Parakeet and Bachman's Warbler were extinct, not heard about the others.

Thought that Great Auk still existed in Britain and the population of Osprey have been thriving for decades.

I guess the method and consequences of intervening in the eco-system should be ignored. I sure my countrymen will use a humane and ecologically sound method or eradication. Perhaps if US increased the fox population it would solve the problem, worked in Australia- of I guess the fox was an introduced species.

Mike

Mike

Mike

Last edited:
Good points made by Jos. Look in any mirror and you see the most destructive being of all on the planet. After all we introduced cats into the ecosystems of the world in the first place.

I really put this one on the news as it seemed to me to show a double standard with the attempted protection of an endangered species at the expense of another living creature, albeit a 'feral' species bu smeone who could have used other means to protect the birds given his position in the local birding communtiy.

Also..I just want to point out out Mike that the fox was introduced into Australia and like so many other species there (Cane Toad, Rabbit etc.) has really been harmful to the local ecosystems. Anyway it was miximatosis that did for rabbits there in the end.

On the subject of killing off feral cat populations.it is possible, but the larger the area the harder it is and I am sure it wold never be sanctioned as too many pets would get caught in the crossfire.

In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia the local authorites eradicated all feral dogs by rounding them up and simply dumping them in the desert..a rather unpleasant way to die. The local feral cats though remain untouched, as the prohet himself liked cats!

"Also..I just want to point out out Mike that the fox was introduced into Australia and like so many other species there (Cane Toad, Rabbit etc.) has really been harmful to the local ecosystems. Anyway it was miximatosis that did for rabbits there in the end."

I am aware that the fox is not indigenous to Australia. My comments were made in anger over the contents of some prior post-sorry.

I am conflicted by this thread, eradication of life (feral life), is probably beneficial (if the consequences are what we believe they will be), but I can't help but feel that is just more violence, and I am so tired of it.

?????????????

This is crazy

Mike

Grreat Auk, the largest of the Alcidae and the only flightless one of recent times, has been extinct for over a century. The last ones were hunted down by Icelandic fishermen for collectors who were prepared to pay premium rates due to the rarity of the birds.

It is slightly less famous than the Dodo.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back