• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few odds and sods from Fuerteventura last week? (1 Viewer)

The Buzzards on Fuerteventura are regarded as Common Buzzards with some similarities to Long-legged. There was an article about them somewhere recently.

Steve

The article is in the April 2017 edition of British Birds, pp222-232. Essentially, this article demonstrates that Common Buzzards on Fuerteventura are rather more similar to northern European Buzzards than they are to the ones in the western Canary Islands. It also suggests that they are somewhat like Long-legged Buzzards, although to be honest not very convincingly to my mind. These photos are I think typical Fuerteventura Buzzards.

Killian Mullarney kindly sent a reply to the problem small plover and has given me permission to post it.

“Hi again John, I’ve had a look at the plover. I believe it is a Ringed Plover. While it looks smaller in one of the photos I suspect this is mainly due to it’s plumage being sleeked tighter to the body than the birds on either side, possibly a sign of nervousness. If I compare the sizes of the heads of the bird in question and the bird to it’s left, they look very similar indeed. There is really no way of determining the subspecific identity, especially if we bear in mind psammodroma Ringed Plovers from Greenland, are virtually the same size as tundrae, and I would guess far more likely to be wintering on the Canary Islands than tundrae. Incidentally, all the pipits in the photos are Meadow. All the best Killian”

Thanks to Killian for his help on the problem plover.

Waders have never really ''interested'' me that much Bubbs (always the odd exception though), hence I tend to overlook them and look for more ''gymnastic'' avian forms...aerials/passerines eg. Thus the bird in question being the exception, as it was ''demonstrably'' smaller than it's colleagues. I originally suggested 25% smaller, taking perhaps a more conservative tack albeit the reality was probably more akin to 30%. Thus I believe your ''flagging'' was probably correct in this instance and worthy of discussion.

Regarding the previous comments...''nervousness'' and sleeked down ''feathering'', this might be countered with it's colleagues being ''puffed up'' somewhat in a ''more relaxed'' modus operandi as compared to the ''little fella'' who was more active! That said...the bill looked smaller and the legs thinner and paler (imm.perhaps?) I'll leave it to those who know better than a self confessed wader philistine.

Cheers

Here is the photo mentioned in the reply to John's request for an opinion on this bird. Whatever about the impression in the field, the photos do not lend much support the notion that the bird was actually significantly smaller than the other Ringed Plovers (much less "30% smaller" which, if this were true, would make it much too small for any plover, smaller even than a Least Sandpiper;)).

Attachments

• RingedPlovers_Fuerteventura.jpg
    RingedPlovers_Fuerteventura.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 84
Here is the photo mentioned in the reply to John's request for an opinion on this bird. Whatever about the impression in the field, the photos do not lend much support the notion that the bird was actually significantly smaller than the other Ringed Plovers (much less "30% smaller" which, if this were true, would make it much too small for any plover, smaller even than a Least Sandpiper;)).

KM1, I'm surprised that you should feel the need to respond to a self confessed "Wader Philistine" who (in almost full flight to the airport) was suddenly arrested by a "demonstrably small RP!" I've noticed size discrepancy in Corvids, Gulls and (in particular Common Buzzards) but never smaller birds particularly small waders! Don't really know where you're coming from in enlarging the "subject birds" head to the RP's?, I suppose one could do the same with the head of an Indian/African Elephant?

I'm only responding because of a third party's interest, and I suspect that his hunch may well have been, not without an element of plausability? I was totally unaware of Northern races being somewhat smaller, and am totally indebted to his concern in this respect.

Happy Birding

KenM 0.5 :-O

Don't really know where you're coming from in enlarging the "subject birds" head to the RP's?, I suppose one could do the same with the head of an Indian/African Elephant?

Ken, what makes you think Killian has altered the size of the 'subject' bird's head?

He's simply done what I have also done - enlarged your photo and taken screen shots of the bird next to one of the other birds that you perceive to be 25-30% larger. I've done it with all three. All screen shots were taken at the same level of zoom, so they effectively show the birds standing side by side.

What both of our juxtapositions illustrate is that all 3 birds are approximately the same size as each other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 00.21.21 Plovers.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 00.21.21 Plovers.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ken, what makes you think Killian has altered the size of the 'subject' bird's head?

He's simply done what I have also done - enlarged your photo and taken screen shots of the bird next to one of the other birds that you perceive to be 25-30% larger. I've done it with all three. All screen shots were taken at the same level of zoom, so they effectively show the birds standing side by side.

What both of our juxtapositions illustrate is that all 3 birds are approximately the same size as each other.

Steve, can't be exact but, the subject bird was perhaps circa two feet "in front of" it's congeners, on that basis it should have appeared perhaps larger? In this case it appeared "smaller!"....which should be at odds with perspective?

I was quite close to the birds (unfortunately can't be more precise as to how far, perhaps 5m+?) certainly not on the end of a scope 50m+ away, where "size" assessment can be problematic.

Unlike yourself and KM1, I suffered the misfortune of actually being "present" and "arrested" by a group of RP's that I would normally not bother with, however such was the size "differential" (not the approximate!) that I took a few record shots en-route.

Happy Birding.

Steve, can't be exact but, the subject bird was perhaps circa two feet "in front of" it's congeners, on that basis it should have appeared perhaps larger? In this case it appeared "smaller!"....which should be at odds with perspective?

I was quite close to the birds (unfortunately can't be more precise as to how far, perhaps 5m+?) certainly not on the end of a scope 50m+ away, where "size" assessment can be problematic.

Unlike yourself and KM1, I suffered the misfortune of actually being "present" and "arrested" by a group of RP's that I would normally not bother with, however such was the size "differential" (not the approximate!) that I took a few record shots en-route.

Happy Birding.

Actually it is not at odds Ken its a well known size illusion.
Which do you think is the larger in the att pic?

Attachments

• perspective.jpg
    perspective.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 80
Actually it is not at odds Ken its a well known size illusion.
Which do you think is the larger in the att pic?

I think this might be a better comparison...two ''same size'' irregular shapes on a not dissimilar plane (level...not unlike the RP's), as opposed to three ''regular sized'' shapes going uphill?

The Courser in the foreground to my eye looks larger?...in fact 14% bigger than it's ''same size'' counterpart.

And that's also size illusion?

Attachments

• P1630101.jpeg  CC Comparison..jpeg
    P1630101.jpeg CC Comparison..jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back