• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Park hide breaths life into site (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

A huge bird hide has been built at an Edinburgh site which has been deemed important for its wintering birds.

More from BBC News...

Admitedly I have a strong dislike of hides, but I find it quite amusing that a "huge hide" can be considered to "breath life into a [wildlife] site". I bet it was a better site before the "huge hide".

The BBC website goes on to say that "Once inside you feel like you are hundreds miles from anywhere as you watch an array of birds and mammals in their natural environment". What an odd statement. Again, I would suggest that the feeling of remoteness was greater before this "huge" man made building was constructed, with all of its boardwalks, and associated school parties.

Oh well, I suppose it has been built with good intentions, and it should help educate people, and that can only be good, but please don't tell me it's improved the site.

Last edited:
Admitedly I have a strong dislike of hides, but I find it quite amusing that a "huge hide" can be considered to "breath life into a [wildlife] site". I bet it was a better site before the "huge hide".

The BBC website goes on to say that "Once inside you feel like you are hundreds miles from anywhere as you watch an array of birds and mammals in their natural environment". What an odd statement. Again, I would suggest that the feeling of remoteness was greater before this "huge" man made building was constructed, with all of its boardwalks, and associated school parties.

Oh well, I suppose it has been built with good intentions, and it should help educate people, and that can only be good, but please don't tell me it's improved the site.

i think youre being a bit harsh on hides i to prefer to be out in the open but i do think you witness more natural behaviour in a hide i was in the island mere hide at minsmere on sunday and spent quite awhile watching an otter views that i would have got nowhere near if we had all been standing out in the open
cheers paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back