• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fruiteaters are going to live good this winter! (1 Viewer)

borealowl47

Darrell Neufeld
Taken October 3,2009

Attachments

• resize1.JPG
    resize1.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 50
  • resize2.JPG
    resize2.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 53
  • resize3.JPG
    resize3.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 54
  • resize 4.JPG
    resize 4.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 53
  • resize 5.JPG
    resize 5.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 53
Cornwall in England is the same although my wife says that a good crop of berries this early is an indication of a harsh winter.

Any truth in this or is it an old wive's tale?

The latter i should imagine

Cornwall in England is the same although my wife says that a good crop of berries this early is an indication of a harsh winter.

Any truth in this or is it an old wive's tale?

The latter i should imagine

The berries are big and fat in Chesterfield at the moment, hoping for some waxies this winter.

I'd imagine that what we think of as a harsh winter would make borealowl47 laugh, it would be a mild spell in Canada! ;)

The berries are big and fat in Chesterfield at the moment, hoping for some waxies this winter.

I'd imagine that what we think of as a harsh winter would make borealowl47 laugh, it would be a mild spell in Canada! ;)

Hoping to see some Bohemian Waxwings soon!
Weather wise here it is 0'c at the moment,snowed on Friday and looking
forward to -20 to -30'c temperatures in dec,jan,feb. Harsh weather what's
that!;)

Attachments

• resize winter.JPG
    resize winter.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 57
I think it is part old wives' tale, part truth.

There are a lot of hawthorn, elder and holly berries around our area now, far more so than usual for this time of year.

Huge flock of Robins!

Seems American Robins are using this resource right now.Went to the park today where I took the above photos and seen a huge flock of robins feeding on all the fruits!

Attachments

• DSC_0253.JPG
    DSC_0253.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0264.JPG
    DSC_0264.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 44
Fun to see a flock of robins in the trees! It's easy to think of thrushes as being ground birds, but when the fruit gets ripe .... (for more of this idea, see the last two pics of thrushes for id here posted today too)

From all the research papers I've read, this should prove to be a bountiful winter for the Canadians as far as birds staying put go. The rest of us are going to have to be content with no irruptions this year :(

Over the past 4 to 6 weeks up in the Hartlepool/ Teesside area the berries and fruits have been so plentiful and large that the branches of trees were straining under the weight.

There is some truth to the good crop of berries= a bad winter.

Over the past 20 years, I have been keeping a close tab on these Natural signs and most of the sayings are in the majority truth.

This year I am predicting a bad winter. As are many people who I have been talking to over the past month. Its by putting the collective reports together is how I come to these forecasts. For the past 6 years, I have accuratly predicted seasons weather, with the last 4 years nailling the forecast to the bone. So I think I'll be stocking up and battening down the hatches for this winter. Another sign that pushes towards a bad winter is the leaves on the trees. Up here in Hartlepool we have had the leaves changing colour since the first week in August, with the first leaves falling towards the end of August. As in all my sightings over the past 20 years, I have never seen leaves start to turn at the beginning of August and a fair bit on the way by the end of August.

Hopefully over the next couple of weeks my workload will ease off, so I can get out with the camera to capture some birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back