• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pretty Flamingo (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Article

An escaped flamingo has been spotted at nature reserves in Norfolk and Suffolk.

The female bird, named Fiona, landed at the RSPB reserve at Strumpshaw Fen, near Norwich, on Wednesday morning.

The escapee from a zoo in Hampshire then turned up at RSPB Minsmere on the Suffolk coast on Thursday morning.

She has also been spotted in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Berkshire in recent weeks.

What are the chances of surviving on the long run for a flamingo in England ?
I guess it will be fine all summer, but what about next winter, especially if it is a really cold one ?

It's surprising how long Flamingo's survive in the wild in the UK. I remember watching a Lesser on the Mersey when the temperature was well below " Bu**er this. I'm going home".

Chris

What are the chances of surviving on the long run for a flamingo in England ?
I guess it will be fine all summer, but what about next winter, especially if it is a really cold one ?

The article says she escaped just before Christmas last year. The zoo she escaped from is not far from us, and we had a pretty miserable winter with very cold temperatures and snow. She obviously survived that and appears to be doing okay.

There was a pair of Flamingo's on the North Tees marshes in the 1970s I cannot remember how long they were there for but I am sure that they built a nest and layed an egg at leasts once.
long time ago though and my memory may be clouded.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back