• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (6 Viewers)

Sigma UK response on Sports vs Contemporary

For info - I had asked Sigma UK for their comments on the Sports vs Contemporary IQ debate. This is what they said.

Technical Support said: "The sports version has superior performance and build quality although if weight and price are a factor then the contemporary version would be a good alternative which compares well with similar lenses on the market."

Sales Dept said: "Both lenses at 600m would provide exceptional image quality, with the Sports model being a fraction better in comparison."

Nick

For info - I had asked Sigma UK for their comments on the Sports vs Contemporary IQ debate. This is what they said.

Technical Support said: "The sports version has superior performance and build quality although if weight and price are a factor then the contemporary version would be a good alternative which compares well with similar lenses on the market."

Sales Dept said: "Both lenses at 600m would provide exceptional image quality, with the Sports model being a fraction better in comparison."

Nick

I think the bottom line is that the only way to find out for sure is to buy both yourself and check the results. To me the Sigma C is a nice step up from the Tamron. The S I am sure is as well, but as I have said and gotten in trouble for many times here, I think it is too heavy for most/all to hand hold. I think the results will be better on a tripod for sure. Especially if you introduce wind into the mix. For me the Tamron is being returned today from the Tamron service center (got it cleaned) and then will go up for sale. Only way I would get an S is if I had a tripod for it.

So, today I have shot some more at different distances and shutter speeds. I think I now have pinpointed down my problem with blurry images.

I think I have a case of front focus at some different focus distances. For example up close I get consistantly very sharp results where the focus point is. At slightly longer distances, say 10-15 meters I get some front focus which causes not so sharp images. I noticed this today shooting some birds lying down with good support. Most of my shots are blurry even though I shot at everything from 1/250 to 1/2000. Some shots were really sharp but they must have been mishaps.

So, good thing I bought the usb dock. Now I need to use another one of its features lol.

Last edited:
Today I took the sigma through some calibration.

I calibrated all focal lengths and focal distances except the infinity one. Frankly I don't know how to go about measuring if infinity is in focus or not when not even the moon is at infinity. Besides I never shoot at infinity anyway.

The values after the calibration is kind of wildly all over the place. I ended up using +10 in camera just to shift all the numbers in the usb dock. I did this because the first distance I measured ended up using +20 in the usb dock :eek!:

After all the calibration I took a short 20 minute walk in the woods just to try some different settings. I most often shoot at 600mm so naturally I tried that the most.
I must say calibration is a must for this lens. Holy moly is this thing sharp now compared to before. And AF consistancy is great as well.

Here are 3 samples at 600mm showing close up, medium distance and far away. These are high iso, handheld shots with no noise reduction and only default sharpness from camera raw, so they could be even better! But suffice to say I am very happy with the results and can't wait to try it out further!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lc3eg44g9grgwhc/AACs3gKUCX3cnS_HWwTpmNata?dl=0

a couple of baby bird shots from over the weekend ,both with the 70d hand held . i have now invested in a black rapid shoulder strap to help with weight issues on walkabout ,first real try was yesterday and i'm impressed it just makes life that magical bit easier .

Attachments

• OOH baby !.jpg
    OOH baby !.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 80
  • sparras the new batch !.jpg
    sparras the new batch !.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 75
a couple of baby bird shots from over the weekend ,both with the 70d hand held . i have now invested in a black rapid shoulder strap to help with weight issues on walkabout ,first real try was yesterday and i'm impressed it just makes life that magical bit easier .

Jeff. Black Rapid is a great company. Their straps are a huge help. But that is a lot of weight for the strap to hold. It is a lot of weight bouncing around when you walk. Make sure you get a back up support in case the strap gives out. I know 3 people who have had their Black Rapid strap break (the metal piece that spins break) and have their camera crash to the ground. 1 of them actually had it fall into the ocean and lost their whole set up. 1 fell and totally broke the camera and lens and 1 fell onto a soft area. They were the only ones who still had gear after the break.

I use the curve strap but reinforce it with these from optech.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B0010HE2CY/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_y

Could use anything really, even an old shoe lace. Point is you want something there that is holding the camera and is connected to the strap incase the metal part of the black rapid breaks. I connect one part around the loop of the actual strap and the other part to the metal band on the camera that is to hold the strap. It is an $8 investment that will save you thousands if/when the strap breaks. I know we have had our differences, but please make sure you have a back up for that system. Those 2 other people walked around with a $1,700 camera, a $2,000 lens on a $40 strap with no back up. Not smart...

one from this evening taken through a double glazed window which could do with a clean LOL

Attachments

• quick grab your camera .jpg
    quick grab your camera .jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 62
Jeff. Black Rapid is a great company. Their straps are a huge help. But that is a lot of weight for the strap to hold. It is a lot of weight bouncing around when you walk. Make sure you get a back up support in case the strap gives out. I know 3 people who have had their Black Rapid strap break (the metal piece that spins break) and have their camera crash to the ground. 1 of them actually had it fall into the ocean and lost their whole set up. 1 fell and totally broke the camera and lens and 1 fell onto a soft area. They were the only ones who still had gear after the break.

I use the curve strap but reinforce it with these from optech.

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B0010HE2CY/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_y

Could use anything really, even an old shoe lace. Point is you want something there that is holding the camera and is connected to the strap incase the metal part of the black rapid breaks. I connect one part around the loop of the actual strap and the other part to the metal band on the camera that is to hold the strap. It is an $8 investment that will save you thousands if/when the strap breaks. I know we have had our differences, but please make sure you have a back up for that system. Those 2 other people walked around with a $1,700 camera, a $2,000 lens on a $40 strap with no back up. Not smart...
Which is the part that wears out? I have seen a few post where people have had an accident with the straps but when questioned they never say what part has failed. Was it the carabiner clip screw or something else.
I ask because I have had my strap for 6 years and used it umpteen times without a problem (carried the 300/2.8 + converter for 3 years with it). But if there is a part that wears out I should be looking at it.
I have a keyring attached to the Carabiner and the and the metal piece as a fail safe.

Last edited:
Which is the part that wears out? I have seen a few post where people have had an accident with the straps but when questioned they never say what part has failed. Was it the carabiner clip screw or something else.
I ask because I have had my strap for 6 years and used it umpteen times without a problem (carried the 300/2.8 + converter for 3 years with it). But if there is a part that wears out I should be looking at it.
I have a keyring attached to the Carabiner and the and the metal piece as a fail safe.

Hopefully I will be able to describe this. There is the carabiner part and at the top of that there is a little piece that connects the carabiner to the loop that the actual strap is through. That is the piece that breaks. The little attachment piece. That is the piece that is holding all of the weight of the lens and all of your hard earned money. That is the piece that broke on both of my friends strap. The third had it fall into the ocean on a boat and never recovered the camera so has no clue what actually broke.

That is why I keep the optech strap attached to the camera on one end and to the actual strap on the other. That way if any part of the metal breaks, I am fine as the camera will only drop about 5 inches. I would consider yourself extremely lucky that nothing ever happened to your strap but insure that if it does go that you are still ok. There must be forums on FM or even here or canon rumors that also talk about other peoples straps breaking.

Hopefully I will be able to describe this. There is the carabiner part and at the top of that there is a little piece that connects the carabiner to the loop that the actual strap is through. That is the piece that breaks. The little attachment piece. That is the piece that is holding all of the weight of the lens and all of your hard earned money. That is the piece that broke on both of my friends strap. The third had it fall into the ocean on a boat and never recovered the camera so has no clue what actually broke.

That is why I keep the optech strap attached to the camera on one end and to the actual strap on the other. That way if any part of the metal breaks, I am fine as the camera will only drop about 5 inches. I would consider yourself extremely lucky that nothing ever happened to your strap but insure that if it does go that you are still ok. There must be forums on FM or even here or canon rumors that also talk about other peoples straps breaking.
Yep I have read about the odd failure but never knew about that piece before. Most of what I have read has been the connector that screws into the tripod foot coming loose but that is easily rectified by wetting the rubber washer before screwing in, that way it will never come loose in my experience (providing you screw it in tight enough of course).
I have a kind of fail safe (pic attached) but never tested it out thankfully. The other mod I made way back when I first bought mine was to cable tie the plastic clip (would look better with a black cable tie). Also attached is how I used mine with the 300/2.8 when I had a lens plate permanently connected to the tripod foot - that way I could swap from black rapid to tripod mount very quickly.
To be honest I have had my monies worth out of my strap over the 6 years I have had it so I am tempted to buy a new one anyway.

Attachments

• fail safe.jpg
    fail safe.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 56
  • BR3.jpg
    BR3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 53
  • BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yep I have read about the odd failure but never knew about that piece before. Most of what I have read has been the connector that screws into the tripod foot coming loose but that is easily rectified by wetting the rubber washer before screwing in, that way it will never come loose in my experience (providing you screw it in tight enough of course).
I have a kind of fail safe (pic attached) but never tested it out thankfully. The other mod I made way back when I first bought mine was to cable tie the plastic clip (would look better with a black cable tie). Also attached is how I used mine with the 300/2.8 when I had a lens plate permanently connected to the tripod foot - that way I could swap from black rapid to tripod mount very quickly.
To be honest I have had my monies worth out of my strap over the 6 years I have had it so I am tempted to buy a new one anyway.

only thing I would add to that is that if the loop that the strap goes through breaks then how are you protected? You have the loop going from carabiner to loop but that does not ensure help (unless I am missing it) if that loop breaks. That is why I just went with the straps from camera to around strap. Bypassed all metal so that I am not counting on any of it.

But I will use the idea to use the cable ties around the plastic clip. I like that very much. Thanks for the tip.

only thing I would add to that is that if the loop that the strap goes through breaks then how are you protected? You have the loop going from carabiner to loop but that does not ensure help (unless I am missing it) if that loop breaks. That is why I just went with the straps from camera to around strap. Bypassed all metal so that I am not counting on any of it.

But I will use the idea to use the cable ties around the plastic clip. I like that very much. Thanks for the tip.
I may be misunderstanding it as well, I thought that it was the stud that gave away and not the whole metal loop! looking at mine (after 6 years of use) it does appear that the hole that the stud goes through could be worn a bit although I do not know what it was like from new as there needs to be some play in it for the whole rig to swivel -if it did ware enough then the stud could just pull through the hole. Or I guess the stud itself could snap, if either of those two things went then the simple keyring type device should still hold it (as a temp measure). Have you ever heard about that whole loop piece breaking? I would have thought that there was more chance of the strap webbing breaking myself or even the plastic clips although again I have never heard of either going.
I guess the only way you can ever be 100% sure is to never use these type of straps. Ah well back to the drawing board :-C

p.s. I have just today taken delivery of a shoulder pad that wraps around the tripod leg(s) so I will be using my rig on a tripod a lot more now.

Last edited:
I have just had a look at the Joby teather and it looks great value for money at £6.50 from Amazon UK. Think I will order one!

Last edited:
I may be misunderstanding it as well, I thought that it was the stud that gave away and not the whole metal loop! looking at mine (after 6 years of use) it does appear that the hole that the stud goes through could be worn a bit although I do not know what it was like from new as there needs to be some play in it for the whole rig to swivel -if it did ware enough then the stud could just pull through the hole. Or I guess the stud itself could snap, if either of those two things went then the simple keyring type device should still hold it (as a temp measure). Have you ever heard about that whole loop piece breaking? I would have thought that there was more chance of the strap webbing breaking myself or even the plastic clips although again I have never heard of either going.
I guess the only way you can ever be 100% sure is to never use these type of straps. Ah well back to the drawing board :-C

p.s. I have just today taken delivery of a shoulder pad that wraps around the tripod leg(s) so I will be using my rig on a tripod a lot more now.

It is the stud that breaks. But for me you can't be too safe. These lenses are heavy, and when attached to a camera even heavier. I just like the extra protection. What I have is very similar and does that exact same thing as the other option posted.

i have a long reach 120mm i think arca plate bolted on to my lens mount ,then one black rapid D ring screwed to the actual lens foot behind that and another D ring now mounted to the camera tripod foot secured by two op-tech snap links from camera to B/R strap ,still trying to think of a better set up though utilising the two support lugs either side on the sports lens .
the original strap as supplied by sigma is a joke imho .a good lens not thought right through to using it in the field ,and while i love the idea of the b/r strap and it does take the weight off where it counts its a awful lot of webbing flapping about if like today you grab the camera off the car seat for a quick few shots ,so its still work in progress keep the ideas coming

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back