• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eggs shapes demystified (1 Viewer)

Interesting indeed, Fred, definitely food for thought. Actually, one of the most interesting things to me was this:

Put an egg in a jar of vinegar for a couple of days until the shell has dissolved, wash away the scum of calcium salts, and the wobbly remnant will be unmistakably egg-shaped (try this at home—it works) (1). It is this observation—that egg shape is dictated by the membrane over which the shell is laid down, rather than the shell itself

I'd always assumed it to be the other way around.

I'd always assumed it to be the other way around.

Indeed, me too, or at least that would have been my answer if the question were sprung at me suddenly with no time for reflection before answering, even though I knew that the shell was added late in the process after all the other egg components were fully formed and in place. Must have to do with an innate bias of some sort, hard and well-defined over soft and squishy maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back