• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cedar Waxwings in winter? (1 Viewer)

Invictus

Bird Photography Noob
Hey all—

I live along the Wasatch front, with easy access to American Fork and Provo canyons. Everything I've read about Cedar Waxwings says they're around all year and they eat berries in the winter. But... what trees grow berries in the winter here?

Basically what I'm looking for is region-specific advice on how to find one of these guys during the cold months. Anyone have experience with this?

I can't speak for Utah but had a flock last weekend feeding on some type of fruit (looked like some kind of decorative plum with cherry sized fruits) that was still on the trees. I also know that when I was a boy in California they'd show up and eat the pyracantha berries that also remained on the bush well beyond the summer into the winter. So, it's not trees that grow berries in the winter but rather trees that hold their fruits/berries into the winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back